• Show
Clear All
  • Markmc611
    • Jun 2012

Thanks Doug!

Comment

• Jrpetty24
      • Dec 2013

Just a curious question as I have decided to keep my Sovereign as my backup after purchasing my Adams. I was wondering how the sound would be affected if a main tuning trigger were added to the horn, in this case a Sovereign 967. I love the sound of my Sovereign but would like more control over the tuning, particularly in the high registers and a little in the low register as well. Any help would be appreciated.
      Adams E1 SS, Gold Brass Body .6mm DE Euph N103 Jcup, J9 shank
      Meinl Weston 2141 Eb Tuba PT 84

Comment

• davewerden
        Administrator
        • Nov 2005

I don't think a trigger would cause much sound problem on a Sovereign. Those horns are built and braced heavily. On the Adams it would have more effect because it is made to resonant throughout the whole horn. The Sovereign gets its wonderful fullness partly via using its weight.
        Dave Werden (ASCAP)
        Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
        Adams Artist (Adams E3)
        Alliance Mouthpiece DC3, Wick 4AL, Wick 4ABL
        YouTube: dwerden
        Facebook: davewerden
        Twitter: davewerden
        Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

Comment

• Jrpetty24
          • Dec 2013

Well that's great news, I may go ahead and add that to my horn then. Is there a way to make it a little more free blowing? I am already planing on sending it over to Lee Stofer to give it a thorough look over and fix any issues that exist.

Comment

• davewerden
            Administrator
            • Nov 2005

Lee is your best bet. The Sovereigns were not as free blowing as most new horns, and certainly not compared to your Adams, although it is a more-or-less situation depending on the particular Sovereign. One critical factor is valve alignment, which Lee can make sure is correct. It's possible he may find something else along the way.
            Dave Werden (ASCAP)
            Adams Artist (Adams E3)

Comment

• tampaworth
              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by davewerden View Post
              The Sovereigns were not as free blowing as most new horns
              Re: Free blowing -- this is an interesting and timely comment as valve alignment aside (which I believe is in the ballbark) just last night I was having fun tooling around on my stable of euphs for comparison and noted that the Sterling was definitely the most free blowing (least air resistance) in general of the four horns. The Besson New Standard has always had the most open and easy to navigate extreme low range of the four. It is difficult to compare sound quality among all the horns in a room at home. Each is special in it's own way and, out and about, each mixes with a euph section differently. I did find that my large shank 4AL fits into the Euro Shank receiver of the 1905 Boosey about 5/16ths of an inch and seals completely and is secure. With my main slide out as far as possible with stability, the MP adds enough "leadpipe length" to get me down to modern pitch. I've been looking for a solution aside from changing out the main slide inner legs and others might try this as a solution.
              Bob Tampa FL USA
              Euph -- 1984 B&H Round Stamp Sovereign 967 / 1978 Besson NS 767 / Early 90s Sterling MP: 4AL and GW Carbonaria
              Tuba -- 2014 Wisemann 900 CC / 2013 Mack 410 MP: Blokepiece Symphony American Shank and 33.2 #2 Rim

Comment

• Jrpetty24
                • Dec 2013

I know this system has been mentioned on the forum a few times before, but has anyone tried it yet? http://www.plbrassrepair.co.uk/mtp-e...er-system.html
                Granted it is expensive if purchased from his site, but it seems like it would be nice to be able to take it off at will. Alos there is the manufacturer site, but it does show you prices as you need to be a dealer to purchase items and view their prices. I'm not opposed to having one made, I am just being cosmetically picky with the paddle shape, and insuring the trigger is adjustable like most triggers nowadays are.

Comment

• davewerden
                  Administrator
                  • Nov 2005

It looks pretty good to me also, but you need to be careful of what you expect. In order for it to work, your main tuning slide will need to be honed down so it moves really easily. Otherwise the trigger could not operate it. Once you hone the slide, you really can't use it without the trigger because it would not hold its position.

An option, I suppose, would be to obtain a duplicate tuning slide and have it honed down. Then you could remove the trigger and swap slides.

Also, you may find it necessary to buy the Trigger System Guard on the same page - note the price, and take that into account in your math.
                  Dave Werden (ASCAP)
                  Adams Artist (Adams E3)

Comment

• daniel76309
                    • Oct 2012

I was thinking about adding a trigger to my New Standard, and it was pointed out to me (I believe correctly) that it has as much to do with ALIGNMENT of the legs of the tubing as it does with the diameter, per se. In other words, if the two legs are not absolutely parallel, once could machine them down to a sloppy leaky fit and they would still bind. I am not saying that adding a trigger could not be accomplished by a skilled person, but it was enough to not try it as a DIY project and I kind of figured that in general it might not be a good idea.

I think it is "interesting" that Mr. Ruby went to great lengths to rid himself of a trigger, and yet others would want to add one.

To Mr Ruby: It is not my intent to be critical or anything like that, but there is something I don't understand about all of this. I apologize if this was explained earlier on and I didn't pick up on it, but I have a question...If you wanted a Prestige only without a trigger, wouldn't it have been much more practical to just remove the trigger from your Prestige, rather than converting a Sovereign to a "triggerless Prestige"? Or is there something inherently differerent or better about the Sovereign?

Comment

• daruby
                      • Apr 2006

Originally posted by daniel76309 View Post

I think it is "interesting" that Mr. Ruby went to great lengths to rid himself of a trigger, and yet others would want to add one. To Mr Ruby: It is not my intent to be critical or anything like that, but there is something I don't understand about all of this. I apologize if this was explained earlier on and I didn't pick up on it, but I have a question...If you wanted a Prestige only without a trigger, wouldn't it have been much more practical to just remove the trigger from your Prestige, rather than converting a Sovereign to a "triggerless Prestige"? Or is there something inherently differerent or better about the Sovereign?
                      Well, were I to have removed the trigger from my Prestige 2051, I would have had to do something to "fix" the tuning slide in place (like expand the legs) which would have made conversion back to a triggered horn if I wanted to sell it difficult. Also, my Prestige was an 11" bell 2051 and I wanted a 12" bell horn. In the end, I was able to sell my Prestige to a fellow performer in my community band, purchase a great Sovereign, do the gold plating, get the new leadpipe pieces, and have the work done and still end up at a small profit. Since I already have my Virtuoso, the "down time" of taking 4-5 months to acquire parts and get the work done, was a non-issue. I ended up with a horn that does exactly what I want and has the sound I want. Plus, I am having fun and learning things as I go!

Doug

P.S. My Sovereign now plays and feels pretty near identically to a real good example of a Prestige 2052 (12" bell). It probably is not as good as some and better than others...
                      Adams E3 0.60 Sterling bell - Prototype top sprung valves
                      Concord Band
                      Winchendon Winds
                      Townsend Military Band

Comment

• tampaworth
                        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by daruby View Post
                        Well, were I to have removed the trigger from my Prestige 2051, I would have had to do something to "fix" the tuning slide in place (like expand the legs) which would have made conversion back to a triggered horn if I wanted to sell it difficult.......Plus, I am having fun and learning things as I go!
                        The last part of the quote says it all! As many more worthy than me have stated, it's ultimately more about the player than the horn. Might a Sovereign main slide have fit the Prestige in a tight untriggered fashion?
                        Bob Tampa FL USA
                        Euph -- 1984 B&H Round Stamp Sovereign 967 / 1978 Besson NS 767 / Early 90s Sterling MP: 4AL and GW Carbonaria
                        Tuba -- 2014 Wisemann 900 CC / 2013 Mack 410 MP: Blokepiece Symphony American Shank and 33.2 #2 Rim

Comment

• daruby
                          • Apr 2006

Originally posted by tampaworth View Post
                          The last part of the quote says it all! As many more worthy than me have stated, it's ultimately more about the player than the horn. Might a Sovereign main slide have fit the Prestige in a tight untriggered fashion?
                          I don't know if a Sovereign tuning slide would have worked with a Prestige horn, since I think that both the tuning slide and tubing it fits into are "honed" to fit on the Prestige (loose enough to slide, tight enough not to leak). Keep in mind the issues mentioned elsewhere about getting parts....But, again, since my Prestige was a 2051 and I wanted a "triggerless 2052", using the Sovereign 967 was the shortest path for me...Doug
                          Concord Band
                          Winchendon Winds
                          Townsend Military Band

Comment

• Jrpetty24
                            • Dec 2013

Dave, do you know where I could acquire said duplicate tuning slide? I had not thought of this but is a great idea.

Daniel, I would agree with you on your mention of the alignment of the legs, I have played many horns that are trigger-less(marching and concert) that the slides hardly move at all if ever, because the legs align poorly with the slide itself.

On the note that this thread was created, I applaud Mr. Ruby for knowing exactly what he wanted his horn to do and how to do it. I would love to experiment with the lead-pipe but have neither the money nor the knowledge of what certain types do and what i want my horn to do in order to do so. So I congratulate you on your horn and thank you for sharing it with us all as it is a gorgeous looking horn and by your statement it plays as good as it looks too!!!

Comment

• daniel76309
                              • Oct 2012

Responding to Doug, that does make sense, thank you. I missed the 11" v. 12" distinction and had you not said otherwise, it would have seemed that everything you did with the Sovereign would have ended up being much more expensive than keeping the Prestige. I also am impressed that you knew exactly what you wanted and ended up getting there. It seemed like a lot to me, but I can see how it would be an interesting process and rewarding in the end.

Comment

• daruby
                                • Apr 2006

I called Dawkes Music (formerly Windcraft) in the UK regarding replacement tuning slides. While I suspect they could get one for a German built Besson, they do not have any nor are they available for English manufactured horns built prior to 2005.
                                Concord Band
                                Winchendon Winds
                                Townsend Military Band

Comment

Working...
                                X