• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Rhys
    • Jan 2014

Returning to brass after 23 years

Hi everyone,

When I was school age, I played a EEb tuba for a couple of local brass bands, unfortunately as with many players, it came to an end when I went to university and had to say goodbye to the band. 23 years later, a friend hands me her baritone and we were both as surprised as each other when a rather lovely tone came out and I still remembered enough to play a scale! This sparked off an idea and a week later, there's a shiny new wessex dolce euphonium on it's way to my house.
    Whilst waiting for it to arrive, I guess I'd better arm myself with some music, tuition pieces etc

Can anyone recommend specific texts/cd/dvds I should buy to help me get back up an running? Any advice?

Thank you!

Rhys
  • tonewheeler
    • Dec 2010

Welcome back to the fold. I think you will discover that a lot of the members of this group share your experience. I recommend an Arban's method book and join a community band.
    Euphs:
    Miraphone 5050 Ambassador
    Wessex Travel (Tornister) Euphonium 'Maly' ER154
    Yamaha 201 Baritone
    Mp: Wick SM4 Ultra X
    Groups:
    The San Diego Concert Band

Comment

• tampaworth
      • Nov 2010

Great advice by tonewheeler!

If you like hymns, a while back daniel76309 turned me on on to a great book with cd accompaniment at the link below:

http://www.justforbrass.com/classic-...ano-112008.cfm

Technique exercies are important of course, but it's nice to have fun and feel like you are a legend in your own mind while practicing too

Welcome to the forum and enjoy!
      Bob Tampa FL USA
      Euph -- 1984 B&H Round Stamp Sovereign 967 / 1978 Besson NS 767 / Early 90s Sterling MP: 4AL and GW Carbonaria
      Tuba -- 2014 Wisemann 900 CC / 2013 Mack 410 MP: Blokepiece Symphony American Shank and 33.2 #2 Rim

Comment

• tampaworth
        • Nov 2010

I just noted that this is out of stock at this link. You want the solo book with CD accompaniment. I'm sure if you tool around on the web you can find it in stock somewhere. Just wanted to make sure you didn't get the accompaniment book by mistake!
        Bob Tampa FL USA
        Euph -- 1984 B&H Round Stamp Sovereign 967 / 1978 Besson NS 767 / Early 90s Sterling MP: 4AL and GW Carbonaria
        Tuba -- 2014 Wisemann 900 CC / 2013 Mack 410 MP: Blokepiece Symphony American Shank and 33.2 #2 Rim

Comment

• RickF
          • Jan 2006

Hi Rhys,

Yes, welcome back to the fold of brass playing. As a moderator, I see from your IP address that you reside in the south of England. I suspect that you probably read treble clef... but maybe you read both, don't know. If treble, the suggestion of Arbans book stands but maybe get one for trumpet. I still use mine and it's over 50 years old.

I'm back to playing now 14 years after over 30 year-lay-off.
          Rick Floyd
          Miraphone 5050 - Warburton BJ / RF mpc

"Always play with a good tone, never louder than lovely, never softer than supported." - author unknown.
          Symphonic Band of the Palm Beaches

El Cumbanchero (Raphael Hernandez, arr. Naohiro Iwai)
          The Cowboys (John Williams, arr. James Curnow)
          Festive Overture(Dmitri Shostakovich)
          ​

Comment

• Rhys
            • Jan 2014

Originally posted by RickF View Post
            Hi Rhys,

Yes, welcome back to the fold of brass playing. As a moderator, I see from your IP address that you reside in the south of England. I suspect that you probably read treble clef... but maybe you read both, don't know. If treble, the suggestion of Arbans book stands but maybe get one for trumpet. I still use mine and it's over 50 years old.

I'm back to playing now 14 years after over 30 year-lay-off.

Well spotted, I'm in the UK, so yes, I'm more familiar with the treble clef - although I also read choral music so the bass clef isn't totally foreign to me. I'll try to find the Abran trumpet book, it sounds like a sensible option.

I would dearly love to join a band again but unfortunately, I work away from home most of the time so I can't really commit.

Thanks for the welcome everyone! I'll let you know how I get on once the instrument arrives. I can't wait!

Rhys

Comment

• davewerden
              Administrator
              • Nov 2005

Welcome, Rhys! The advice above is spot on. I consider the Arban book an absolute must, and if you can only have one book, it's the one! But make sure you get the Complete Conservatory Method. It has content that is missing is some other editions.
              Dave Werden (ASCAP)
              Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
              Adams Artist (Adams E3)
              Alliance Mouthpiece DC3, Wick 4AL, Wick 4ABL
              YouTube: dwerden
              Facebook: davewerden
              Twitter: davewerden
              Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

Comment

• jhfitzsimmons
                • Jan 2014

If at all possible, commit to a group

Originally posted by davewerden View Post
                Welcome, Rhys! The advice above is spot on. I consider the Arban book an absolute must, and if you can only have one book, it's the one! But make sure you get the Complete Conservatory Method. It has content that is missing is some other editions.
                I also took 20 years off from playing. I stopped playing when I graduated high school in 83. In 2003 I heard the Pine Bush Community Band playing and was inspired. I found an inexpensive euphonium and joined. I am now playing better then I've ever played in high school. And that is thanks to a supportive group a musicians who more then put up with my learning curve and to the bands routine schedule (practice every Monday from March through Christmas, and playing 14 concerts). Being responsible to a group definitely motivated my commitment.
                Jim Fitzsimmons
                Professional Engineer
                Ameteur Musician
                Wessex Dolce Euphonium
                Holton Model 187 Euphonium
                Pine Bush Community Band

www.pinebushcommunityband.com

Comment

• Davidus1
                  • Jul 2008

Along with the Arban I would recommend Bordogni etudes. They are very helpful! One source is Encore Music:

http://www.encoremupub.com

I wish you well in your return. Congrats on the new horn!
                  John 3:16

Conn Victor 5H Trombone
                  Yamaha 354 Trombone
                  Conn 15I Euphonium

Comment

• davewerden
                    Administrator
                    • Nov 2005

Originally posted by Davidus1 View Post
                    Along with the Arban I would recommend Bordogni etudes. They are very helpful! One source is Encore Music:
                    Good tip! Also, Encore carries the Complete Arban book in two versions, treble and bass. The treble version is edited by Allen Vizzutti, and the bass by Brian Bowman and Joe Alessi. If you feel like you need some advice on how to focus the various exercises, the (more expensive) Encore version might be a good investment. They are both well edited and contain very few mistakes (unlike the older bass clef versions).
                    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
                    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
                    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
                    Alliance Mouthpiece DC3, Wick 4AL, Wick 4ABL
                    YouTube: dwerden
                    Facebook: davewerden
                    Twitter: davewerden
                    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

Comment

• John the Theologian
                      • Apr 2013

I came back about a year ago after a roughly 20 year lay-off of serious playing, with about a 5 year gap of any playing at all. It takes a little time and effort, but it does come back. Just don't get frustrated when some things-- consistent clean attacks, upper range, flexibility, etc. take a little long to start to shape up. I especially found that my the flexibility in my fingers on my euphonium-- I play trombone as well-- took much longer than my ability to move the trombone slide. I found that playing scale exercises in G concert and D concert were great to help with the finger flexibility because they force you to move all of the fingers on each scale. I used the Pares Scales book, but I'm sure other scale exercises would work just as well.

Comment

• Rhys
                        • Jan 2014

Well, the instrument has arrived, all lovely and shiny! I was surprised as to how much I still remember! I struggle a bit on the upper registers and my playing is a biz "lazy" but it's getting better every day. I've ordered a load of music online, most of it a little ambitious! Arban is still on it's way, hopefully it will arrive soon.

I had a quick scan through the book I remember learning the cornet on when I was 9 years old "A tune a day" luckily I didn't order it because it's far more basic than I remember!

Comment

• Davidus1
                          • Jul 2008

Originally posted by Rhys View Post
                          Well, the instrument has arrived, all lovely and shiny! I was surprised as to how much I still remember! I struggle a bit on the upper registers and my playing is a biz "lazy" but it's getting better every day. I've ordered a load of music online, most of it a little ambitious! Arban is still on it's way, hopefully it will arrive soon.

I had a quick scan through the book I remember learning the cornet on when I was 9 years old "A tune a day" luckily I didn't order it because it's far more basic than I remember!
                          Very happy for you! Its a special time when one gets a new instrument. I wish you well.
                          John 3:16

Conn Victor 5H Trombone
                          Yamaha 354 Trombone
                          Conn 15I Euphonium

Comment

Working...
                          X