Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Intonation for Besson Prestige 2052, Wilson 2900S, Miraphone M5050, Yamaha 642II Neo

1. Intonation for Besson Prestige 2052, Wilson 2900S, Miraphone M5050, Yamaha 642II Neo

Hey guys, I will soon be getting my own euphonium for when I go to college. I was wondering what people know of the intonation of the instruments listed in the title? Those are what I will be looking at because the only dealer near me is Dillon's, and those are the only ones that I am really interested in. Intonation is one of the major factors for my decision so I'd like to know which of them has the best. I will eventually be able to go down to Dillon's to try them out, but I'm extremely busy right now and I won't have time for a while.
    Thanks.

2. When you are in that price range (unless you are looking at used) an Adams is just about within reach. They have been reported to have the best point and shoot triggerless playability.
    Bob Tampa FL USA
    Euph -- 1984 B&H Round Stamp Sovereign 967 / 1978 Besson NS 767 / Early 90s Sterling MP: 4AL and GW Carbonaria
    Tuba -- 2014 Wisemann 900 CC / 2013 Mack 410 MP: Blokepiece Symphony American Shank and 33.2 #2 Rim

Quote Originally Posted by tampaworth View Post
    They have been reported to have the best point and shoot triggerless playability.

I'll suggest that phrase to Adams for their brochure!
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

I don't have good up to date charts on the tuning for those horns, but in my testing of them I can say that I would not be comfortable without a trigger on those models. (For the Adams I don't use one.)

In the playing I have done, and in listening to others on those models, I did not notice any deal-breakers for pitch if you have a trigger to bring down the sharp notes. They all respond well, but the tone is very different among them. You can poke around the forum and get more opinions on them, although the best way to judge is to get them into a pretty big room and test them out.

You might want to read this article, too:

Choosing a Euphonium

Read the article itself, and also click the link near the top to the panel discussion from IEI.
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)

5. I would certainly like to try the Adams, but there are no Adams dealers particularly near me and I would still like to test the horn before buying.

Most Miraphone 5050 owners don't buy one with the trigger.
    I use mine some, but not nearly as much as I used the aftermarket
    trigger I had on my Sovereign 968.

The Miraphone 5050 is extremely flexible, and can be played without a trigger. I think Rick F has a triggerless 5050. The trigger is only really needed on the G at the top of the staff. I prefer to use it for fine adjustment because of my misspent youth as a trombonist, but it's not necessary.

Don Winston

Yes, my M5050 does not have a trigger. If I had it to do over again, I might consider getting one with a trigger, but it would make the horn a bit heavier. Mine without a trigger is 2 lbs heavier then my Yamaha 641 - or 12 lbs. Don is correct, the concert 'G' on the staff is the worst note at about 12 cents sharp. I use 3rd valve for that note and it's perfect. As usual with most euphoniums, the sixth partials (concert Eb, E and F) are sharp but you can lip these down okay. This horn has the easiest high concert 'B' that I've ever played. For being a big horn the high register is easier than most in my opinion.
    Rick Floyd
    Miraphone 5050 - Warburton BJ / RF mpc
    YEP-641S (recently sold)
    Doug Elliott - 102 rim; I-cup; I-9 shank

"Always play with a good tone, never louder than lovely, never softer than supported." - author unknown.
    Symphonic Band of the Palm Beaches
    El Cumbanchero (Raphael Hernandez, arr. Naohiro Iwai)
    Chorale and Shaker Dance
    (John Zdechlik)

Good to know the Miraphone owners are finding a trigger to be less than a necessity. Anyone have comments about the Besson in that regard?
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)

10. Intonation on the modern Besson Prestige varies. Generally one can expect the following:

1. 6th partial is traditionally sharp. Need trigger or alternate fingerings or lip down.

2. Middle G 1-2 is sharp. Need trigger or 3rd valve. Also sharp on Miraphone 5050.

3. Middle F open. May be sharp but varies by horn.

4. Low F 4th valve needs trigger.

These are pretty consistent across horns. I have watched Dave Childs use of the trigger on his own horn and can confirm that he uses his trigger consistent with these tendencies. Note that I just test played 2x967s, a 968, and a 2051, and fou d that all were similar in pitch tendencies with the xception of the middle F.
    Adams E3 0.60 Sterling bell - Prototype top sprung valves
    Concord Band
    Winchendon Winds
    Townsend Military Band

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast