Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Indiegogo Survey

1. Indiegogo Survey

Hello my name is Kody Rackley, i am a tuba player from Saint Charles, Missouri. i am currently attending Lindenwood University trying to obtain my degree in music education, and my minor in performance. some of you may be reading the title of this thread and wondering "What is Indiegogo?" Indiegogo is a place for people to ask for donations to receive items that they need but cannot afford on their own, Also when you make donation you receive a gift or other item just for donating. my professor and i are in the process of starting a campaign on indiegogo to start funding for my own tuba, being from a poor family, and also being in college this is my only real way to get the money i need in a short amount of time. so here is my question to you, if you were to donate what would you like to receive for your donation, now keep in mind that i can not do anything completely outrageous but i will do what i can. my goal is to raise $15,000 for my tuba. Any suggestions would be great and also feel free to email me any suggestions you may have. my Email is Kodyr30@gmail.com.
    Thank you
    Kody Rackley

FORUM FOLKS: Please be careful with this. I don't know much about the site, but here is one of the blog posts that questions some of its policies:
    http://indiegogoscam.blogspot.com/

Even if the site is built with the best of intentions, there are ways to scam. It is similar on eBay in some ways. I would always check carefully on seller history/reputation or other factors before buying from eBay, for example.

So I don't mean any offense to our newest member above. His IP address matches where he says he is from, which is always a good sign, and his message here is consistent with those he has posted on YouTube, etc.

Maybe I'm just out of the loop (wouldn't be the first time!). I'd invite other forum members to post what they have experienced or know about Indiegogo.

Please understand that I'm just trying to make sure the forum stays safe and friendly. I want to make sure we only get legitimate appeals, and I'm pretty ignorant about Indiegogo.

Thanks.
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

This may be real. Consider, for example http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GI9WbdtvjZ4. And https://www.facebook.com/kody.rackle...=browse_search. And some others.

I can't imagine why an undergraduate music education major would think that he "needs" a $15,000 tuba. And I can't imagine why a professor would be encouraging him to believe that this is what he "needs". But maybe that's just me. And I wouldn't want to discourage anyone from becoming a good musician if a $15,000 instrument is what that takes. I guess you could think of it as contributing to a scholarship for this individual.

I think I need a Norwegian Star in order to have a happy life in my golden years. And that's only $10,000. But I don't think that's going to happen .
    Gary Merrill
    Wessex EEb Bass tuba (DW 3XL or 2XL)
    Mack Brass Compensating Euph (DE N106, Euph J, J9 euph)
    Amati Oval Euph (DE 104, Euph J, J6 euph)
    1924 Buescher 3-valve Eb tuba (with std US receiver), Kelly 25
    Schiller American Heritage 7B clone bass trombone (DE LB K/K10/112/14 Lexan, Brass Ark MV50R)
    1947 Olds "Standard" trombone (Olds #3)

4. it is real, im sorry, i was just trying to be as formal as i could be with this. my intentions are not to scam. i am just taking advice from my professors and checking on forums. i apologize i have no intention of scamming.. and i don't think i need it, my professors think i do. i am also a performance minor. they said i need a professional level tuba and they recommended miraphone CC Tuba... i am really sorry i caused any concern.
    Kody Rackley

5. My Apologies

im sorry i didn't mean to cause any concern.. i was taking my professors advice and trying this. and i am not the one who thinks i need it, my professor thinks i need a better horn.. and they recommended a Miraphone CC tuba...i don't have the money. im just trying to do the best at what i do and they dont think the horn i use now will help me because the high range on it is unresponsive. so again i apologize for the concern..

No need to apologize if you are sincere! But since this is your first post here I thought it was smart for all of us to approach with great caution. Your approach is not something I'm familiar with so I could not take it lightly. But I am not saying YOU are dishonest. I was really hoping some our established members might know more about this.

7. Thats fine i just wanted to clarify. and i understand it was my first post and the concern it came with it. but my intentions are sincere, i am just trying fundraise my way to a better horn.

Hi,

I wish you well with your studies. I would highly recommend that you look around. I'm by no means an expert but have played tuba since the mid 1970s. I can tell you that a $15000 tuba is in no way a necessity. There are fine used horns in CC or BBb for less than half that, that would do the job. Many orchestral tubists made their living playing on Mirafone CC tubas. There are a lot of used ones around and some very nice clones available that play nearly as well. You might give strong consideration to these. I am also from the St. Louis area (not far from St. Charles). If you get a chance you might try to get a few lessons with Michael Sanders of the St. Louis Symphony or Jeffrey Hoard (alternate for St. Louis Symphony). Perhaps you could ask them their opinion about the horn you are choosing. Jeffrey's web page is at: http://www.gatewaybrassquintet.com/Jeffrey%20Hoard.htm
    I would certainly question that tall order of $15000. I wish you well in your studies and hope this helps rather than discourages you.

9. i happened to find a few used miraphones for 8000, and a used model that i was looking at for 9000.

10. would you happen to know if jupiter tubas are any good? the only jupiter instrument ive played on was a sousaphone. so i dont really know about concert tubas through them.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast