Thread: Russian Christmas Music - live recording

Russian Christmas Music - live recording

I just received my CD copy of last month's holiday concert where we played, "Russian Christmas Music" (Alfred Reed). This is one of my favorite band pieces, not because the euph part is so great (it's not), but because it's such a beautiful piece. We have a couple of oboe players in the band, neither of whom own an English Horn. Our director found a talented eighth grade girl who was very willing help us out. She attends Bak Middle School of the Arts and rehearsed with us for a month before the concert. All of us were really impressed with her intonation, phrasing and maturity of sound. After the piece our Dir had her come forward so he could introduce her to the audience. After the applause, our Dir told her to tell the audience what grade she was in. When she did, there were some gasps and more applause. I think this young lady is going places musically.

Here's a link to listen to the mp3 recording if interested:
    RUSSIAN CHRISTMAS MUSIC (Alfred Reed) - Symphonic Band of PB

We're still using a recorder with built-in mics, so not the greatest, but since the English horn sits near the front, it was picked up pretty well. The rest of the band did pretty well too but with a few intonation issues here and there. If you don't want to listen to the whole piece, fast forward to 4 minutes and 7:45 minutes into the piece to hear the English horn solos. The clarinet choir portion starting at rehearsal 200 (10:15 into the recording) is also very good.

Russian Christmas Music history: In 1944, in an attempt to improve Soviet-American relations, a holiday symphonic concert was held in Denver, Colorado. The intention was to premiere new works by Soviet and American composers. Sixteen days before the concert, it was discovered that the Soviet music selected to be performed - Prolkofiev's March, Op. 99 - had already premiered in the United States. With only sixteen days, 23-year-old American Alfred Reed was assigned to write a new piece of "Russian music" to be performed at the concert. Thirteen days later, on December 12, 1944, on nationally broadcast NBC radio, "Russian Christmas Music" by Alfred Reed made its debut. Two days later, it was performed in concert in Denver.
    Last edited by RickF; 01-15-2014 at 09:49 AM.
    Rick Floyd
    Miraphone 5050 - Warburton BJ / RF mpc
    YEP-641S (recently sold)
    Doug Elliott - 102 rim; I-cup; I-9 shank

"Always play with a good tone, never louder than lovely, never softer than supported." - author unknown.
    Symphonic Band of the Palm Beaches
    El Cumbanchero (Raphael Hernandez, arr. Naohiro Iwai)
    Chorale and Shaker Dance
    (John Zdechlik)

Rick--enjoyable all the way around!

When I hear or see young talents such as the English Horn player, I am tempted to revise my generally dim view of the future.

Thanx for posting!
    Jim

3. Quote Originally Posted by Snorlax View Post
    my generally dim view of the future.
    Sorry off topic but I couldn't resist..... Last week coming home from work I got on the Sirius-XM Hip Hop Nation channel by mistake so I let two songs play through. I appreciate all varieties of music, and yes the beat is somewhat cool, but the messages in the lyrics were blatantly gross and disgusting. Makes me wonder about our future as a society as so many people listen to this crap
    Bob Tampa FL USA
    Euph -- 1984 B&H Round Stamp Sovereign 967 / 1978 Besson NS 767 / Early 90s Sterling MP: 4AL and GW Carbonaria
    Tuba -- 2014 Wisemann 900 CC / 2013 Mack 410 MP: Blokepiece Symphony American Shank and 33.2 #2 Rim

Quote Originally Posted by tampaworth View Post
    Sorry off topic but I couldn't resist..... Last week coming home from work I got on the Sirius-XM Hip Hop Nation channel by mistake so I let two songs play through. I appreciate all varieties of music, and yes the beat is somewhat cool, but the messages in the lyrics were blatantly gross and disgusting. Makes me wonder about our future as a society as so many people listen to this crap

+1 Completely agree with you.

Thanks Rick for posting the link. Beautiful music!

My old director of the Eastern Iowa Brass Band, John DeSalme, has a fine arrangement of the Russian Christmas Music for brass band. In addition to the Eastern Iowa Brass Band, I know that the New England Brass Band has recorded John's arrangement on its Christmas album. Perhaps others have as well.

6. Thanks Rick for posting this. I finally gave this an uninterrupted listen and very nice! My daughter is 13 and plays the flute. She got this idea she wanted to play the English Horn (I think because it's different and she likes English things -- Harry Potter... One Direction...) and I looked at the prices. Needless to say, I love her very much but she's still playing the flute!
    Bob Tampa FL USA
    Euph -- 1984 B&H Round Stamp Sovereign 967 / 1978 Besson NS 767 / Early 90s Sterling MP: 4AL and GW Carbonaria
    Tuba -- 2014 Wisemann 900 CC / 2013 Mack 410 MP: Blokepiece Symphony American Shank and 33.2 #2 Rim