Thread: Boosey & Hawkes Imperial?

1. Exclamation Boosey & Hawkes Imperial?

I have been in search of a compensating horn for quite awhile now, and have seen a Boosey & Hawkes Imperial c. 1976 with a serial number listed as 584***

Does anyone know anything about how this horn plays? I would like to know before I pay for it and the shipping so that I do not have to ship it back for a refund.

EDIT: It won't be listed for much more than a day longer, so any information ASAP would be appreciated.

Looks like it was made around 1975-76. Those were usually very nice horns, with the great "old Besson" tone quality. There were pretty well in tune except for the 6th partial, which was quite sharp. If the valves still seal well then it would probably have good response as well.

During much of Besson's production life, including this date range, there was a bit of variation from horn to horn. One would not prefer to buy one new during that time without first trying it, so there is no guarantee how the horn will play until you actually try it.
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

I played a Besson New Standard in college... basically the same horn. It was LOVELY and played like a dream.

I'm playing at a Boosey&Hawkes Imperial, Large shank, Serial No. somewhere about 54**** (1974). It's a beautiful horn, nice sound, good high and very good low range, and good mechanics. It's also a heavy euph compared to the YEP-321. I've ordered some spare parts by Dawkes music and now the valve action is quiet, too. I [EDIT:] don't see currently need for upgrading to a modern euph. The SM4X works great for me.

I would say, thumbs up
    Last edited by JoCologne; 01-17-2014 at 03:01 AM.
    Jochen

Boosey&Hawkes Imperial with SM4(U-X),
    YEP-321 with DW 4AY ...
    ... and my cello

5. Thank you for all the feedback, everyone! Sorry I was so late in getting back to you all; the euphonium was sold by the next time I got on to check.

Well, this one would be an option (but you might want to try to get the price lower):

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Besson-Compe...584e4f&afsrc=1

or you could move up to a Sovereign:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Besson-Sover...item4d17a0d81e
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

Sorry, big mistake from my side - see my previous post. I really don't see any need for upgrading
    Jochen

Boosey&Hawkes Imperial with SM4(U-X),
    YEP-321 with DW 4AY ...
    ... and my cello