Thread: I made my own spit catcher!

Texas, where every thing is bigger & BETTER

I made my own spit catcher!

Spit has been dripping on me for quite some time now, so I decided to get a spit catcher. I saw the one made for my horn, Yamaha 642s Neo, but it didn?t looks to good compared to the 842?s spit catcher. I read the other threads and you guys used PVC pipe, etc. I don?t have any power tools, so there goes PVC. I found some clears tubes around the house, they looked kind of like test tubes. I marked the spots I would need to cut on a piece of masking tape, drew out the cuts, cut off excess tubing, put the markings on the tube, and then I began to cut! I had limited supplies, so I did what I could. I used xacto knives to cut, and sand paper to smooth it out. Below is a picture of all the tools I used, the product on the horn, and the product on a table. I find it very easy to slide on and off, while still being able to hold on to the cap?s nipples, and I can see if I need to empty it or not.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	unnamed.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	15.7 KB 
ID:	2037Click image for larger version. 

Name:	unnamed (1).jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	35.4 KB 
ID:	2038Click image for larger version. 

Name:	unnamed (2).jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	10.5 KB 
ID:	2039

2. I like this. Light, small, simple and inconspicuous. Where did the little plastic tube come from?
    Bob Tampa FL USA
    Euph -- 1984 B&H Round Stamp Sovereign 967 / 1978 Besson NS 767 / Early 90s Sterling MP: 4AL and GW Carbonaria
    Tuba -- 2014 Wisemann 900 CC / 2013 Mack 410 MP: Blokepiece Symphony American Shank and 33.2 #2 Rim

Looks good and pretty ingenious. Thanks for sharing pictures too.
    Rick Floyd
    Miraphone 5050 - Warburton BJ / RF mpc
    YEP-641S (recently sold)
    Doug Elliott - 102 rim; I-cup; I-9 shank

"Always play with a good tone, never louder than lovely, never softer than supported." - author unknown.
    Symphonic Band of the Palm Beaches
    El Cumbanchero (Raphael Hernandez, arr. Naohiro Iwai)
    Chorale and Shaker Dance
    (John Zdechlik)

Neat idea! Thanks for sharing.

Texas, where every thing is bigger & BETTER
    Quote Originally Posted by tampaworth View Post
    I like this. Light, small, simple and inconspicuous. Where did the little plastic tube come from?
    I'm not quite sure where the tube came from, my father used work for American airlines, and he gave me a tool box and they were in there. I'm sure if you could go to a craft store and get some test tubes, but since the plastic is harder, it would require some drilling.

It looks like the sort of thing that small precision parts sometimes come in. Or something like a tap or reamer bit.

I wish I could figure a way to make a decent spit catcher for my old Buescher tuba. The problem there is that the bottom caps don't have the sort of grooved nipples that are on more recent instruments. I suppose I could bore out the bottom holes, tap them, and screw in something appropriate. Maybe some day ...
    Gary Merrill
    Wessex EEb Bass tuba (DW 3XL or 2XL)
    Mack Brass Compensating Euph (DE N106, Euph J, J9 euph)
    Amati Oval Euph (DE 104, Euph J, J6 euph)
    1924 Buescher 3-valve Eb tuba (with std US receiver), Kelly 25
    Schiller American Heritage 7B clone bass trombone (DE LB K/K10/112/14 Lexan, Brass Ark MV50R)
    1947 Olds "Standard" trombone (Olds #3)

A plastic tube like this is definitely preferable, imho, than the kind of clear, nylon flexible hose. That stuff curves and doesn't fit well on the nipples. This looks very inconspicuous. Great job!
    U.S. Army, Retired (built mid-1950s)
    Adams E2 Euph (built 2017)
    Boosey & Co. Imperial Euph (built 1941)
    Edwards B454 Bass Trombone (built 2012)
    Boosey & Hawkes Imperial Eb tuba (built 1958)
    Kanstul 33-T lBBb tuba (built 2010)

They used to sell 1/4 and 1/2 watt resisters at the electronic supply stores in tubes like these. Not sure they still do however. This might be a possible source.
    Rick Floyd
    Miraphone 5050 - Warburton BJ / RF mpc
    YEP-641S (recently sold)
    Doug Elliott - 102 rim; I-cup; I-9 shank

"Always play with a good tone, never louder than lovely, never softer than supported." - author unknown.
    Symphonic Band of the Palm Beaches
    El Cumbanchero (Raphael Hernandez, arr. Naohiro Iwai)
    Chorale and Shaker Dance
    (John Zdechlik)

9. http://www.amazon.com/SEOH-125mm-Pla...stic+test+tube

Searched for plastic test tube on Amazon. $5. gets you 25 of 'em. Just have to make sure to get the proper diameter. I've got Amazon prime so I'm going to order these (or similar) and follow Asianeuph's design. May require drilling vs cutting due to different thickness ... we'll see. Thanks!
    Bob Tampa FL USA
    Euph -- 1984 B&H Round Stamp Sovereign 967 / 1978 Besson NS 767 / Early 90s Sterling MP: 4AL and GW Carbonaria
    Tuba -- 2014 Wisemann 900 CC / 2013 Mack 410 MP: Blokepiece Symphony American Shank and 33.2 #2 Rim

10. Yay! Found some tubes at work. Seems many things come in this sort of tube!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails image.jpg  
    Bob Tampa FL USA