Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Eric Ewazen Concerto Live

Jim, I'm so glad I could be a part of this concert. It was a fantastic performance!

I'm privileged to be able to learn from you, and just sitting next to you in brass choir hugely elevates my own playing.

Quote Originally Posted by daniel76309 View Post
    Very nice performance!

Since taking up the euphonium again after many years of inactivity, I have at times thought back to playing in high school and college. As a freshman in college (1972-73) I think we had 4 euphonium players in our Symphonic Band at the University of Wisconsin. I can remember one of them--I was thinking his name was Bob, but I couldn't remember his last name. Well, as I read your post about Dr. Robert Grechesky, a little light bulb flickered in the cobwebs of my brain. I would bet my like-new Besson 10 mouthpiece that he is the same guy I played euph with in college (I think he was a senior when I was a freshman). I guess the world of old euphonium players is sort of a small world.
    Daniel,
    Bob G. would have been a grad student at Wisconsin; he did his undergrad at Rutgers. If you'll tell me your complete name, I'll text him & see if he remembers you. He's retiring from Butler in May after 41 years of devoted service. He's a great conductor as well as a player.

3. Thanks! I sent you a PM. Dan

Jim is a superb player and I second everyone's praise for the performance!

Eric Ewazen's music is deeply American, and Jim's interpretation so fits the music. It's great to hear a euphonium played with artistry and musicianship in a style which complements the roots of the music so well.

John

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12