Thread: Jim Williams & Indianapolis Brass Choir--Steely Dan Medley

Jim Williams & Indianapolis Brass Choir--Steely Dan Medley

Oh, no...not again!

I'm a huge Steely Dan fan. A few years ago, I cooked up a medley for the Indianapolis Brass Choir consisting of Reelin' In the Years, Home Again, Peg, ad My Old School. I had to cut a couple of tunes out of the original, which was 12 minutes long and I had to come in under 9 minutes.

STEELY BRASS

The bit in Reelin' In The Years, the melody on Peg, and the guitar riffs in My Old School are me on a Yamaha 321 with a mouthpiece that started life as a Wick 5 but got drilled out in the throat to some illogically large opening.

For your enjoyment and/or amusement, my friends. My hope is that some of this stuff will encourage performers/composers/arrangers to think of the euphonium in previously non-traditional roles.
    Happy New Year

Jim Williams--taking the euphonium to places it probably has no business being in.

Like I said on FB, Tasty!
    David Bjornstad

1923 Conn New Wonder 86I, Bach 6 1/2 AL
    2018 Wessex EP100 Dolce, Denis Wick 4ABL
    2013 Jinbao JBEP-1111L, Denis Wick 4AM
    2015 Jinbao JBBR-1240, Denis Wick clone mouthpiece of unknown designation
    Cullman (AL) Community Band (Euph Section Leader)
    Brass Band of Huntsville (2nd Bari)

3. Any major dude will tell you that this is the bomb! Can never get enough of the Dan Love it!
    Bob Tampa FL USA
    Euph -- 1984 B&H Round Stamp Sovereign 967 / 1978 Besson NS 767 / Early 90s Sterling MP: 4AL and GW Carbonaria
    Tuba -- 2014 Wisemann 900 CC / 2013 Mack 410 MP: Blokepiece Symphony American Shank and 33.2 #2 Rim

I just listened to this. Terrific! Really enjoyed it.

5. The Dan is the Deal! Donald Fagen and Walter Becker remain proud Snorlax! And Larry Carlton did have some stinging solos back in the day didn't he?
    Bob Tampa FL USA
    Euph -- 1984 B&H Round Stamp Sovereign 967 / 1978 Besson NS 767 / Early 90s Sterling MP: 4AL and GW Carbonaria
    Tuba -- 2014 Wisemann 900 CC / 2013 Mack 410 MP: Blokepiece Symphony American Shank and 33.2 #2 Rim

Agreed! There are a lot great videos on YouTube with Larry Carlton. When I see him now it makes me feel old! ( :

Thanks for sharing - that was GREAT!