Thread: Baritone horn mouthpieces?

Baritone horn mouthpieces?

Hello all!
    I am currently trying some new (small shank) mouthpieces for my baritone, and was curious if anyone had any ideas/suggestions on ones i should look into?
    I play a yamaha 321S baritone, and i usually use a 6 1/2 AL, but recently tried the bach 11C and i liked that a little more for solo work, but there are still some weak points to it for me
    I do not like the schilke 51 on this horn, or the Denis Wick 4AY if that helps anyone get an idea of the type i may like.

also, has anyone ever used the Wick BARITONE line of mouthpieces? Or the G&W Chocolatero mouthpiece?

any advice is appreciated!
    Keera Allen
    Senior, Central Michigan University
    Music Education: Euphonium, specializing in baritone
    Willson 2950TA Euphonium
    Yamaha YBH 621 Baritone
    Nirschl I-400SP Baritone

2. Denis Wick SM6 and SM5 work great for me on my 321S.

G&w chocolatero is WAAY too small for baritone. I used a Boreas for a while on baritone with good results. Wick 6BS is the classic choice. SM6 or SM5 is also good, although they are quite a bit deeper and give a richer sound.

Quote Originally Posted by EuphGirl05 View Post
    I play a yamaha 321S baritone...
    Do you mean 621S? The 321 is a euphonium, right?

I play a Besson BE955 with a Wick 4BS, have for many years. Sometimes the tendency with baritones is to put deep cup euphonium mouthpieces in them, like a Schilke 51D, and I just don't think that works. The Wick 6BS is a little smaller than the 4 and popular. And there's the Wick Steven Mead BARITONE series. Never played one but I've thought about it... Try a 6BS or a 4BS, or one of the SM's. Enjoy.

Haha yes i meant 621s...i dont know what i was thinking when i typed that!
    Thanks for all the feedback thus far everyone!! Im definitely going to do some more research
    Keera Allen
    Senior, Central Michigan University
    Music Education: Euphonium, specializing in baritone
    Willson 2950TA Euphonium
    Yamaha YBH 621 Baritone
    Nirschl I-400SP Baritone

I use a Yamaha small shank 48, and like it pretty well... Not TOO small.

I've only played a British baritone a couple of times when I used to play in a brass band, but I used a Marcinckiewicz 8H and it worked very well on the horn. It comes in both a standard (the one I used) and a larger symphonic backbore- the 8HS model. Make sure if you investigate the Marc that you realize that Marc measurements seem to be different than most mp measurements. A Marc 8H rim is about the size of a Bach 6 1/2 AL, although shaped quite differently, but the specs would lead you to think it would be larger than it really is.

There's a gold plated SM6 for sale on ebay (not mine). http://www.ebay.com/itm/121224235795...84.m1423.l2649 Probably similar in specs to 6BS, which is popular for baritone.

SM6 is quite a bit deeper than the 6BS, as is the fashion lately...

10. I have been playing British baritone for the last 5 years or so. While my regular euphonium MPC is a Wick 4AL or Alliance E3, I have experimented with a number of mouthpieces on baritone including: Wick 4AY, 4BS, SM4B, 5BS, and SM6B, Alliance B6 (stock with Prestige 2051), Schilke 51D, DEG BB1, Bach 6 1/2AL and Bach 5G (to name a few). After a lot of work, I have finalized on the Bach 5G. The cup and backbore shape provide enough back pressure for me to be able to play in tune in the high range without having to work too hard. The size of the 5G provides a dark enough sound to make it warm (in comparison with the 6 1/2AL). I found ALL of the Wick pieces just a bit deep with too open of a backbore which made the high range problematic. All of the Wick 4 series are just too large (even though I normally play a 4 on euph). The Alliance B6 is my second choice and the Wick SM6B is my third choice.
    Adams E3 0.60 Sterling bell - Prototype top sprung valves
    Concord Band
    Winchendon Winds
    Townsend Military Band