Thread: YEP 642 as compared to 642 Neo

1. YEP 642 as compared to 642 Neo

Hello, I'm (as you might have guessed) looking into getting a compensating euphonium over the holidays. I've always had an interest in Yamaha because of their quality control standards and nice, focused euphonium sounds, but I have run into a snag. I have looked into (and test played) the YEP 642, but I have also studied up on the Neo. Sadly, I have not had an opportunity to test play a Neo, so I was wondering how large the difference in sound, intonation, and response is from someone who has played both. Any recordings comparing the two side by side would be appreciated as well since I cannot find any. Finally, any potential issues (such as the thin, fragile valve casings) that are common with the Neo would be useful information.
    In short, I need to know if the differences warrant the large price jump.

Also, for some background, I am a Junior in high school. I have been playing euphonium for 6 years and am currently on a YEP 321. My teacher and I have talked about compensators for about two years now; he believes I will need one to major in performance in college. I have asked him about the comparison, but he has not played a Neo and doesn't have access to one.

Texas, where every thing is bigger & BETTER
    First off Yamaha's are awesome! I got mine this May! I bought it through my local music store and it took 4 weeks? I don't know why the guy said their distributing warehouse was somewhere in California. I'm a sophomore in high school, I own the 642 Neo (my school owns a 642 and I'll ask to borrow it, so i can play something for you). It's not really a big difference to me although intonation seems better on the Neo. One of the downsides to Yamaha is that after awhile the tuning slides start to get what i think is called red rust? I got it on the second valve slide on my Neo, I've seen it on almost all of the school horns my school has. I saw a guy with an Adam's Custom euph sterling silver bell brushed finish or something like that, and he told me he heard that if Yamaha valves aren't well taken care of they go bad? So far my Neo's valves are doing great. But you may want to look into an Adam's euphonium to. While I'm mentioning Adams's the cases on the Adam's are awesome. Adam's horns come with a Marcus Bonna hard gig bag. These bags go for about $700,so getting it with the horn is not bad. Yamaha cases aren't as bulky as cases such as Besson or Jupiter, but they're still pretty heavy. PM if you want to talk more or have any further questions.

3. Thank you for the insights, Asianeuph. I've always heard the intonation is A LOT better
    I'm aware of the red rot problem as the horn I recently moved off of had it.
    As for the valve troubles, I have heard the metal on the casing is EXTREMELY thin and liable to get crunched up or dented.
    Finally, I appreciate the insight about Adams euphoniums, but I have looked well into them and decided I do not need that much horn as of yet (primarily because of budget issues) and that maybe later on in college I will look into a horn like that.

4. BUMP
    Sorry for the double post, but any and ALL help would be much appreciated!