Thread: Jim Williams with Indianapolis Brass Choir

Jim Williams with Indianapolis Brass Choir

Hi, everyone...
    I'm a big Benny Goodman fan. There isn't much Goodman for Brass Choir, so I did an arrangement that you can listen to here

Of course, I gave myself a couple of 16-bar improvised solos at the beginning. I do all my pop and jazz and french horn stuff on a Yamaha 321. The Miraphone 5050 is not the sound I want for pop or jazz, and I have to work too hard to play it.

Hope you enjoy.
    Jim
    Last edited by Snorlax; 11-28-2013 at 08:35 PM.

Very nice arr. Jim. I just listened on the iPhone so not a great way to listen, but I will listen again when I get back home and on my PC with good speakers. There's some pretty high notes in your solo.
    Rick Floyd
    Miraphone 5050 - Warburton BJ / RF mpc
    YEP-641S (recently sold)
    Doug Elliott - 102 rim; I-cup; I-9 shank

"Always play with a good tone, never louder than lovely, never softer than supported." - author unknown.
    Symphonic Band of the Palm Beaches
    El Cumbanchero (Raphael Hernandez, arr. Naohiro Iwai)
    Chorale and Shaker Dance
    (John Zdechlik)

Good job, all the way around, Jim. I think the 321 was a smart choice,too. It sounds "right" in that setting, and a much larger horn isn't as natural a fit.
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

4. Jim, great sound. I really like this. Is the arrangement available? Can the French horn parts be written in Eb for our brass band?

Doug
    Adams E3 0.60 Sterling bell - Prototype top sprung valves
    Concord Band
    Winchendon Winds
    Townsend Military Band

Thanks to all for the kind words.

For better or worse, I'm going to post several of my live performances--they are often off the beaten path and may give some people some ideas about taking the euphonium places it probably has no business being. Feel free to critique or groan as you see fit. I made a conscious decision NOT to do standard euphonium repertoire for the most part, since there are so many people who already do it superbly. I prefer to let people hear an unfamiliar instrument in a familiar context.

The "serious" stuff I play with wind/brass ensembles is also off the beaten path a bit. I'll soon post live performances of the Frigyes Hidas and Eric Ewazen concertos. Both deserve wider performances, especially the Ewazen concerto.

Jim

Very Tasty! Thanks for posting!

Dang, that was good! I can see I should have moved to Indy, not Alabama, when I retired :-P The Indianapolis Brass Choir, and the Indianapolis Symphonic Band, conducted by Joe Poio, one of my dorm roommates at Butler. I'd bet there are some other groups that a retiree eupher could join, too.
    David Bjornstad

1923 Conn New Wonder 86I, Bach 6 1/2 AL
    2018 Wessex EP100 Dolce, Denis Wick 4ABL
    2013 Jinbao JBEP-1111L, Denis Wick 4AM
    2015 Jinbao JBBR-1240, Denis Wick clone mouthpiece of unknown designation
    Cullman (AL) Community Band (Euph Section Leader)
    Brass Band of Huntsville (2nd Bari)

8. Hi Jim

Please let me know how I can send you an email.

Little Jimmy

Yamaha YBH 621s
    York Master trombonium