X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Dubby
    • Nov 2013

Wessex Euph

So I've been lurking on this forum for nearly a year. I'm a high school senior and I play euphonium. In college, I'm planning on staying in band, but not majoring in music. I've been looking to buy my own euphonium for a couple of years now, but I never pulled the trigger. I'm happy to say, I've done it! I just ordered a Wessex Euphonium and I cannot wait to try it. I have heard nothing but good things about wessex and Mack brass, and I decided on wessex because they had the silver-gold trim in stock and Michigan is closer to me-in Minnesota-than Virginia. I'm not sure if this is the right place, but I just wanted to thank everyone on this forum for all of their help.
  • DaveBj
    • Oct 2011

There's nothing prettier or shinier than a new horn. Enjoy.
    David Bjornstad

1923 Conn New Wonder 86I, Bach 6 1/2 AL
    2018 Wessex EP100 Dolce, Denis Wick 4ABL
    2013 Jinbao JBEP-1111L, Denis Wick 4AM
    2015 Jinbao JBBR-1240, Denis Wick clone mouthpiece of unknown designation
    Cullman (AL) Community Band (Euph Section Leader)
    Brass Band of Huntsville (2nd Bari)

Comment

• Pat
      • Dec 2008

I've got a Wessex Tenor Tuba (Bydlo) and love it. Jonathan and Andy are great to work with and I think you'll really love the euphonium.
      Sterling Virtuoso Euphonium, Denis Wick 4AL

Comment

• Dubby
        • Nov 2013

Yeah! I'm really excited. Though, probably not as excited as my band director haha he's a trombone player, so he has a soft spot for low brass in particular. He's also looking to buy some new horns. I wonder if Andy and Jonathan have a referral award? Haha

Comment

• Dubeuph
          • Nov 2013

Going to hijacked this thread rather than start a new one if thats ok?

Firstly thanks very much for all the advice ive digested as a lurker.

I'll keep it short and sweet....Im very near to purchasing a new Euphonium. After extensive research Im between two models.

The Wessex Dolce - http://www.wessex-tubas.co.uk/euphonium/

John Packer JP274MkII - http://www.johnpacker.co.uk/Catalogu...P274-Euphonium

In terms of a direct comparison which one would people choose and why? I cant see any threads here where people have actually played either model.

Im liking the 3-year warranty that comes with the Wessex. That could be the deal breaker to be honest. I cant determine exactly what the JP comes with, it may be similar given their good reputation?

Thanks in advance....

Comment

• Dubby
            • Nov 2013

I don't know much about the JP, and I haven't received my Wessex yet(One more day!), but I would first suggest you play both of them if at all possible. Though honestly, the JP also seems to be a JinBao horn, although I'm not sure how much they actually have in common. I'll try to post my thoughts later this week on the Dolce.

Comment

• Dubeuph
              • Nov 2013

I look forward to reading them. good luck with the arrival!!!

Comment

• Dubby
                • Nov 2013

It arrived today! I have to say I'm impressed. I played a YEP-321S the last few years and earlier this year was a 3-valve besson compensating horn (1970's I believe), and this is so much more fun. The mouthpiece is nice, but I'm planning on getting an SM3U around Christmas. The stick mouthpiece is better than the besson one I was on. The horn blows dark and free, I've wiped down and oiled the valves, and I blew oil down the lead pipe. Hopefully in a month or two, they'll be butter!

Comment

• DaveBj
                  • Oct 2011

For the first couple months, after every playing session take the valves out, wipe them down (I used an old cotton undershirt), and oil them. After that, they should reach your butter standard. I know mine did.

Enjoy!
                  David Bjornstad

1923 Conn New Wonder 86I, Bach 6 1/2 AL
                  2018 Wessex EP100 Dolce, Denis Wick 4ABL
                  2013 Jinbao JBEP-1111L, Denis Wick 4AM
                  2015 Jinbao JBBR-1240, Denis Wick clone mouthpiece of unknown designation
                  Cullman (AL) Community Band (Euph Section Leader)
                  Brass Band of Huntsville (2nd Bari)

Comment

• Dubeuph
                    • Nov 2013

Originally posted by Dubby View Post
                    It arrived today! I have to say I'm impressed. I played a YEP-321S the last few years and earlier this year was a 3-valve besson compensating horn (1970's I believe), and this is so much more fun. The mouthpiece is nice, but I'm planning on getting an SM3U around Christmas. The stick mouthpiece is better than the besson one I was on. The horn blows dark and free, I've wiped down and oiled the valves, and I blew oil down the lead pipe. Hopefully in a month or two, they'll be butter!
                    Congrats on the new arrival!

I think I'll be joining you in the Wessex club. Just sorting out the financial side of it. Finish-wise Im gona go with the silver with gold trim. Hoping to order mine in the next week.

Comment

• Dubeuph
                      • Nov 2013

Any further feedback on your new toy?

Comment

• Dubby
                        • Nov 2013

Well, I love it! The valves are already smooth so I'm anxious to see what they'll be like in a month or two. My band director is considering ordering a few for the school because he's liked my instrument do much. My only problem is the mouthpiece. I like the size of it, but the rim is a little sharp to me. I'm thinking about buying a Kelly 5G or Kelly 51D this weekend. I've been working on audition material for college lately, and my band director decided he has the right band to play Pineapple Poll, so I've got a lot of music to keep me busy. I'm playing Andante et Allegro by Ropartz for my audition. Not a music major.

Comment

• Dubeuph
                          • Nov 2013

Thats good to hear! Long may it continue!

I bought mine yesterday and am expecting delivery early next week!!!!

Its all a bit strange as the last time Ive played is over 17 years ago. Im busy trying to source a few essential bits and bobs for maintenance. I think Ive read the majority of the threads on here at this stage!!!! Great source of info, so thanks to all the contributors for that....

Bought "The Real Book" sixth edition there earlier. Some amount of material in that. Probably going to get something very basic as well as I need to refresh my brain on the theory side of things as well.

Comment

• Dubby
                            • Nov 2013

Well another update is in store. I got a Schilke 52e2 for Christmas and that has helped a ton. I don't know what the stock mouthpiece is a clone of, but it is huge. I also have a Kelly 5G that is fun to pk around with. Nothing spectacular really but the schilke really sings in this thing. I'm looking forward to school starting up again so I can see how it plays in the ensemble and in a quintet of which I'm a part. I'll also try to get some pictures up.

Comment

• TEuph
                              • Feb 2014

Does the Wessex come with a slide trigger or a case? And what do you do to make the valve "butter standard"? Oh and also what size mouthpiece receiver does the euphonium have? Since I only have a large shank mouthpiece
                              Last edited by TEuph; 02-05-2014, 09:21 AM. Reason: Added a new question

Comment

Working...
                              X