Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Wessex Euph

1. Wessex Euph

So I've been lurking on this forum for nearly a year. I'm a high school senior and I play euphonium. In college, I'm planning on staying in band, but not majoring in music. I've been looking to buy my own euphonium for a couple of years now, but I never pulled the trigger. I'm happy to say, I've done it! I just ordered a Wessex Euphonium and I cannot wait to try it. I have heard nothing but good things about wessex and Mack brass, and I decided on wessex because they had the silver-gold trim in stock and Michigan is closer to me-in Minnesota-than Virginia. I'm not sure if this is the right place, but I just wanted to thank everyone on this forum for all of their help.

There's nothing prettier or shinier than a new horn. Enjoy.
    David Bjornstad

1923 Conn New Wonder 86I, Bach 6 1/2 AL
    2018 Wessex EP100 Dolce, Denis Wick 4ABL
    2013 Jinbao JBEP-1111L, Denis Wick 4AM
    2015 Jinbao JBBR-1240, Denis Wick clone mouthpiece of unknown designation
    Cullman (AL) Community Band (Euph Section Leader)
    Brass Band of Huntsville (2nd Bari)

I've got a Wessex Tenor Tuba (Bydlo) and love it. Jonathan and Andy are great to work with and I think you'll really love the euphonium.

4. Yeah! I'm really excited. Though, probably not as excited as my band director haha he's a trombone player, so he has a soft spot for low brass in particular. He's also looking to buy some new horns. I wonder if Andy and Jonathan have a referral award? Haha

5. Going to hijacked this thread rather than start a new one if thats ok?

Firstly thanks very much for all the advice ive digested as a lurker.

I'll keep it short and sweet....Im very near to purchasing a new Euphonium. After extensive research Im between two models.

The Wessex Dolce - http://www.wessex-tubas.co.uk/euphonium/

John Packer JP274MkII - http://www.johnpacker.co.uk/Catalogu...P274-Euphonium

In terms of a direct comparison which one would people choose and why? I cant see any threads here where people have actually played either model.

Im liking the 3-year warranty that comes with the Wessex. That could be the deal breaker to be honest. I cant determine exactly what the JP comes with, it may be similar given their good reputation?

Thanks in advance....

6. I don't know much about the JP, and I haven't received my Wessex yet(One more day!), but I would first suggest you play both of them if at all possible. Though honestly, the JP also seems to be a JinBao horn, although I'm not sure how much they actually have in common. I'll try to post my thoughts later this week on the Dolce.

7. I look forward to reading them. good luck with the arrival!!!

8. It arrived today! I have to say I'm impressed. I played a YEP-321S the last few years and earlier this year was a 3-valve besson compensating horn (1970's I believe), and this is so much more fun. The mouthpiece is nice, but I'm planning on getting an SM3U around Christmas. The stick mouthpiece is better than the besson one I was on. The horn blows dark and free, I've wiped down and oiled the valves, and I blew oil down the lead pipe. Hopefully in a month or two, they'll be butter!

For the first couple months, after every playing session take the valves out, wipe them down (I used an old cotton undershirt), and oil them. After that, they should reach your butter standard. I know mine did.

Enjoy!
    David Bjornstad

1923 Conn New Wonder 86I, Bach 6 1/2 AL
    2018 Wessex EP100 Dolce, Denis Wick 4ABL
    2013 Jinbao JBEP-1111L, Denis Wick 4AM
    2015 Jinbao JBBR-1240, Denis Wick clone mouthpiece of unknown designation
    Cullman (AL) Community Band (Euph Section Leader)
    Brass Band of Huntsville (2nd Bari)

10. Quote Originally Posted by Dubby View Post
    It arrived today! I have to say I'm impressed. I played a YEP-321S the last few years and earlier this year was a 3-valve besson compensating horn (1970's I believe), and this is so much more fun. The mouthpiece is nice, but I'm planning on getting an SM3U around Christmas. The stick mouthpiece is better than the besson one I was on. The horn blows dark and free, I've wiped down and oiled the valves, and I blew oil down the lead pipe. Hopefully in a month or two, they'll be butter!
    Congrats on the new arrival!

I think I'll be joining you in the Wessex club. Just sorting out the financial side of it. Finish-wise Im gona go with the silver with gold trim. Hoping to order mine in the next week.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast