Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Wessex Euph

1. Wessex have only got one prototype with trigger so far - the first batch being due May. It is of our own robust design and has mini ball linkage, so see no reason to think will not last. Action is good with the right lubricant. I found a little lanolin works well for butter smooth action. The prototype worked without problems throughout hundreds of tries at the US Army Conference. Our three year guarantee covers the slide too.

The Wessex euphonium will be available without trigger ('Dolce' in lacquer, or silver), or with ('Dolce Cantabile' in silver/gold, or gold brass bell lacquer) - both with ergonomic angled off-the-bell leadpipe

The Wessex euphoniums have large size receiver and come with case

EDIT: Now on website at http://www.wessex-tubas.com/euphonium-trigger/
    Last edited by Jonathantuba; 02-09-2014 at 05:36 PM. Reason: additional information
    www.Wessex-Tubas.com
    Customer Services & Chicago Showroom visits: Dolce@Wessex-Tubas.com
    Shipping & UK Showroom visits: Coda@Wessex-Tubas.com

Visit our Facebook page

If you ever want a really fantastic grease-like lubricant for bearing surfaces, this is the stuff: http://www.gunslick.com/products/che...phitelube.aspx. It's become almost impossible to buy in stores, but is available online. I used to use it on the mini-ball linkage on my Cerveny tuba. The only problem with it is that since it's graphite mixed in grease, it's REALLY black and will get on/in ANYTHING it touches. But if you can apply it in minimal amounts (very little is required) on surfaces that aren't exposed to your handling, nothing I have found beats it.
    Gary Merrill
    Wessex EEb Bass tuba (DW 3XL or 2XL)
    Mack Brass Compensating Euph (DE N106, Euph J, J9 euph)
    Amati Oval Euph (DE 104, Euph J, J6 euph)
    1924 Buescher 3-valve Eb tuba (with std US receiver), Kelly 25
    Schiller American Heritage 7B clone bass trombone (DE LB K/K10/112/14 Lexan, Brass Ark MV50R)
    1947 Olds "Standard" trombone (Olds #3)

What material are the Wessex and Mack Brass Euphs valves made of? Are they Stainless Steel?, Monel?, Nickel? I haven't seen that listed anywhere.

Stainless. This is at least on the Mack Brass site, but in the small print after the main description.
    Gary Merrill
    Wessex EEb Bass tuba (DW 3XL or 2XL)
    Mack Brass Compensating Euph (DE N106, Euph J, J9 euph)
    Amati Oval Euph (DE 104, Euph J, J6 euph)
    1924 Buescher 3-valve Eb tuba (with std US receiver), Kelly 25
    Schiller American Heritage 7B clone bass trombone (DE LB K/K10/112/14 Lexan, Brass Ark MV50R)
    1947 Olds "Standard" trombone (Olds #3)

Thanks Gary. I don't see any description on the Wessex site. Just curious. I'm not a fan of Monel valves. I saw a Schiller posted on eBay with Monel pistons.

6. Wessex euphoniums, baritone and EEb tuba all have stainless steel valves with nylon guides. Experience is they are pretty trouble free. If in any doubt we lap the valves before selling
    www.Wessex-Tubas.com
    Customer Services & Chicago Showroom visits: Dolce@Wessex-Tubas.com
    Shipping & UK Showroom visits: Coda@Wessex-Tubas.com

Visit our Facebook page

Thanks Jonathan. I appreciate the reply!

8. I can tell you that the John Packer IS NOT a JinBao horn. They are mad in a different factory - much better quality control, better finish and better intonation.

Looking at my Wessex 4E mouthpiece (and I am a brand-new Euphonium player of about 11 days duration ) I'm curious about the various sizes and brands of mouthpieces suitable for beginners.

Still looking for an instructor, so I do not have access to all the usual info available to the average school band student.

10. Although MPs are a personal choice, you can't go wrong with a Schilke 51D in large shank (will fit your Wessex). These are great all-around Euphonium MPs and should be readily available without breaking the bank!
    Bob Tampa FL USA
    Euph -- 1984 B&H Round Stamp Sovereign 967 / 1978 Besson NS 767 / Early 90s Sterling MP: 4AL and GW Carbonaria
    Tuba -- 2014 Wisemann 900 CC / 2013 Mack 410 MP: Blokepiece Symphony American Shank and 33.2 #2 Rim

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast