Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Dubby
    • Nov 2013

If you call him up, you can Oder it with a trigger now. It's a hard/soft case. Large mouthpiece receiver. I use blue juice and oil everyday for a while making sure to wipe down the valves and casing prior to oiling.

Comment

• Davidus1
      • Jul 2008

Has anyone bought one of the Dolce Cantabile (with Main tuning slide trigger)? I'm curious what you think of it. I found these pictures of it posted on TubeNet.

http://forums.chisham.com/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=59722
      John 3:16

Conn Victor 5H Trombone
      Yamaha 354 Trombone
      Conn 15I Euphonium

Comment

• davewerden
        Administrator
        • Nov 2005

Originally posted by Davidus1 View Post
        Has anyone bought one of the Dolce Cantabile (with Main tuning slide trigger)?
        I have not tried one, but I have a blind thought on the matter. A trigger is more difficult to implement correctly than the other moving parts of a euphonium. More precision in construction is necessary for it to work smoothly without leaking. In addition, the horn needs to be sturdy and a little bit rigid to maintain the alignment of the slides. So I would approach with caution.

In an ideal world (as defined by me), which this one is not, there would be several other people who have tried them, and one could gather feedback. Since a trigger is so new to the clones, which are themselves a little on the new side in this world, you can't find a lot of real-world stories. So I'd at least want to have a chance to fiddle with one to see if it had a smooth, quality feel. I'd also check it for leakage. If you had a generous return policy from the vendor, it might be worth a shot.
        Dave Werden (ASCAP)
        Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
        Adams Artist (Adams E3)
        Alliance Mouthpiece DC3, Wick 4AL, Wick 4ABL
        YouTube: dwerden
        Facebook: davewerden
        Twitter: davewerden
        Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

Comment

• Dubby
          • Nov 2013

If it makes a difference at all, I don't come across many, if any, instances where I wish for a trigger.

Comment

• Davidus1
            • Jul 2008

Thanks for the replies. Dave - The durability and consistent functionality of the trigger is a concern and agree that there isn't a track record. They do offer a 3 year warranty and I understand are good to work with. Dubby - I was wondering the same thing. Do I really need a trigger for the main tuning slide? Not really sure. I am looking for a new Euph now that my son has appropriated mine for school. I'm seriously considering one of the Dolce Euphs. I've heard good things and don't want to flip for a really expensive horn at this time. I had thought about a new King 2280 but would prefer a compensated horn. I also like the 12" bell option.

Conn Victor 5H Trombone
            Yamaha 354 Trombone
            Conn 15I Euphonium

Comment

• Jonathantuba
              • Apr 2013

Wessex have only got one prototype with trigger so far - the first batch being due May. It is of our own robust design and has mini ball linkage, so see no reason to think will not last. Action is good with the right lubricant. I found a little lanolin works well for butter smooth action. The prototype worked without problems throughout hundreds of tries at the US Army Conference. Our three year guarantee covers the slide too.

The Wessex euphonium will be available without trigger ('Dolce' in lacquer, or silver), or with ('Dolce Cantabile' in silver/gold, or gold brass bell lacquer) - both with ergonomic angled off-the-bell leadpipe

The Wessex euphoniums have large size receiver and come with case

EDIT: Now on website at http://www.wessex-tubas.com/euphonium-trigger/
              Last edited by Jonathantuba; 02-09-2014, 05:36 PM. Reason: additional information
              www.Wessex-Tubas.com
              Customer Services & Chicago Showroom visits: Dolce@Wessex-Tubas.com
              Shipping & UK Showroom visits: Coda@Wessex-Tubas.com

Visit our Facebook page

Comment

• ghmerrill
                • Dec 2011

If you ever want a really fantastic grease-like lubricant for bearing surfaces, this is the stuff: http://www.gunslick.com/products/che...phitelube.aspx. It's become almost impossible to buy in stores, but is available online. I used to use it on the mini-ball linkage on my Cerveny tuba. The only problem with it is that since it's graphite mixed in grease, it's REALLY black and will get on/in ANYTHING it touches. But if you can apply it in minimal amounts (very little is required) on surfaces that aren't exposed to your handling, nothing I have found beats it.
                Gary Merrill
                Wessex EEb Bass tuba (DW 3XL or 2XL)
                Mack Brass Compensating Euph (DE N106, Euph J, J9 euph)
                Amati Oval Euph (DE 104, Euph J, J6 euph)
                1924 Buescher 3-valve Eb tuba (with std US receiver), Kelly 25
                Schiller American Heritage 7B clone bass trombone (DE LB K/K10/112/14 Lexan, Brass Ark MV50R)
                1947 Olds "Standard" trombone (Olds #3)

Comment

• Davidus1
                  • Jul 2008

What material are the Wessex and Mack Brass Euphs valves made of? Are they Stainless Steel?, Monel?, Nickel? I haven't seen that listed anywhere.

Conn Victor 5H Trombone
                  Yamaha 354 Trombone
                  Conn 15I Euphonium

Comment

• ghmerrill
                    • Dec 2011

Stainless. This is at least on the Mack Brass site, but in the small print after the main description.
                    Gary Merrill
                    Wessex EEb Bass tuba (DW 3XL or 2XL)
                    Mack Brass Compensating Euph (DE N106, Euph J, J9 euph)
                    Amati Oval Euph (DE 104, Euph J, J6 euph)
                    1924 Buescher 3-valve Eb tuba (with std US receiver), Kelly 25
                    Schiller American Heritage 7B clone bass trombone (DE LB K/K10/112/14 Lexan, Brass Ark MV50R)
                    1947 Olds "Standard" trombone (Olds #3)

Comment

• Davidus1
                      • Jul 2008

Thanks Gary. I don't see any description on the Wessex site. Just curious. I'm not a fan of Monel valves. I saw a Schiller posted on eBay with Monel pistons.

Conn Victor 5H Trombone
                      Yamaha 354 Trombone
                      Conn 15I Euphonium

Comment

• Jonathantuba
                        • Apr 2013

Wessex euphoniums, baritone and EEb tuba all have stainless steel valves with nylon guides. Experience is they are pretty trouble free. If in any doubt we lap the valves before selling
                        www.Wessex-Tubas.com
                        Customer Services & Chicago Showroom visits: Dolce@Wessex-Tubas.com
                        Shipping & UK Showroom visits: Coda@Wessex-Tubas.com

Visit our Facebook page

Comment

• Davidus1
                          • Jul 2008

Thanks Jonathan. I appreciate the reply!

Conn Victor 5H Trombone
                          Yamaha 354 Trombone
                          Conn 15I Euphonium

Comment

• Dan
                            • Feb 2010

I can tell you that the John Packer IS NOT a JinBao horn. They are mad in a different factory - much better quality control, better finish and better intonation.

Comment

• Valerie
                              • Jan 2015

Looking at my Wessex 4E mouthpiece (and I am a brand-new Euphonium player of about 11 days duration ) I'm curious about the various sizes and brands of mouthpieces suitable for beginners.

Still looking for an instructor, so I do not have access to all the usual info available to the average school band student.
                              Wessex Dolce Cantabile

Comment

• tampaworth
                                • Nov 2010

Although MPs are a personal choice, you can't go wrong with a Schilke 51D in large shank (will fit your Wessex). These are great all-around Euphonium MPs and should be readily available without breaking the bank!
                                Bob Tampa FL USA
                                Euph -- 1984 B&H Round Stamp Sovereign 967 / 1978 Besson NS 767 / Early 90s Sterling MP: 4AL and GW Carbonaria
                                Tuba -- 2014 Wisemann 900 CC / 2013 Mack 410 MP: Blokepiece Symphony American Shank and 33.2 #2 Rim

Comment

Working...
                                X