Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Wessex Euph

1. Any further feedback on your new toy?

2. Well, I love it! The valves are already smooth so I'm anxious to see what they'll be like in a month or two. My band director is considering ordering a few for the school because he's liked my instrument do much. My only problem is the mouthpiece. I like the size of it, but the rim is a little sharp to me. I'm thinking about buying a Kelly 5G or Kelly 51D this weekend. I've been working on audition material for college lately, and my band director decided he has the right band to play Pineapple Poll, so I've got a lot of music to keep me busy. I'm playing Andante et Allegro by Ropartz for my audition. Not a music major.

3. Thats good to hear! Long may it continue!

I bought mine yesterday and am expecting delivery early next week!!!!

Its all a bit strange as the last time Ive played is over 17 years ago. Im busy trying to source a few essential bits and bobs for maintenance. I think Ive read the majority of the threads on here at this stage!!!! Great source of info, so thanks to all the contributors for that....

Bought "The Real Book" sixth edition there earlier. Some amount of material in that. Probably going to get something very basic as well as I need to refresh my brain on the theory side of things as well.

4. Well another update is in store. I got a Schilke 52e2 for Christmas and that has helped a ton. I don't know what the stock mouthpiece is a clone of, but it is huge. I also have a Kelly 5G that is fun to pk around with. Nothing spectacular really but the schilke really sings in this thing. I'm looking forward to school starting up again so I can see how it plays in the ensemble and in a quintet of which I'm a part. I'll also try to get some pictures up.

5. Does the Wessex come with a slide trigger or a case? And what do you do to make the valve "butter standard"? Oh and also what size mouthpiece receiver does the euphonium have? Since I only have a large shank mouthpiece
    Last edited by TEuph; 02-05-2014 at 09:21 AM. Reason: Added a new question

6. If you call him up, you can Oder it with a trigger now. It's a hard/soft case. Large mouthpiece receiver. I use blue juice and oil everyday for a while making sure to wipe down the valves and casing prior to oiling.

Has anyone bought one of the Dolce Cantabile (with Main tuning slide trigger)? I'm curious what you think of it. I found these pictures of it posted on TubeNet.

http://forums.chisham.com/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=59722

Quote Originally Posted by Davidus1 View Post
    Has anyone bought one of the Dolce Cantabile (with Main tuning slide trigger)?
    I have not tried one, but I have a blind thought on the matter. A trigger is more difficult to implement correctly than the other moving parts of a euphonium. More precision in construction is necessary for it to work smoothly without leaking. In addition, the horn needs to be sturdy and a little bit rigid to maintain the alignment of the slides. So I would approach with caution.

In an ideal world (as defined by me), which this one is not, there would be several other people who have tried them, and one could gather feedback. Since a trigger is so new to the clones, which are themselves a little on the new side in this world, you can't find a lot of real-world stories. So I'd at least want to have a chance to fiddle with one to see if it had a smooth, quality feel. I'd also check it for leakage. If you had a generous return policy from the vendor, it might be worth a shot.
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

9. If it makes a difference at all, I don't come across many, if any, instances where I wish for a trigger.

Thanks for the replies. Dave - The durability and consistent functionality of the trigger is a concern and agree that there isn't a track record. They do offer a 3 year warranty and I understand are good to work with. Dubby - I was wondering the same thing. Do I really need a trigger for the main tuning slide? Not really sure. I am looking for a new Euph now that my son has appropriated mine for school. I'm seriously considering one of the Dolce Euphs. I've heard good things and don't want to flip for a really expensive horn at this time. I had thought about a new King 2280 but would prefer a compensated horn. I also like the 12" bell option.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast