I attended a brass ensemble recital at Berklee earlier this week, and one of the groups, a euphonium/tuba quintet, played an original composition by one of the euphonium players. It's a really nice piece. "The Calling" by Louis Rabaso. I don't know if it's published.

It's fairly short, and not very complicated, largely tonal (what's sometimes called "accessible"), with some nice lyrical passages for the 1st euphonium (played by the composer). What I liked best about the piece was the fine use of the sounds of the ensemble. Tuba/euph ensemble music can be very muddy sounding if it's not carefully arranged and voiced, and the composer did a great job here, with nice rich sounding music that captured the characteristic sound of the ensemble. Not only is it a nice composition, but it's also a top-notch arrangement.

One thing that added to the effect was the fine playing of tuba player Jordan Hope (who held down the bottom end of all three ensembles in the recital). A nice, fat, clear sound, and outstanding intonation. It really helps the upper parts if the lowest part is perfectly in tune, and Mr. Hope did that job very well. Good ears!