Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Upgrading Euphonium Mouthpiece?

Upgrading Euphonium Mouthpiece?

Hi, I'm currently a Freshman Euphonium in High School. I play on a Schilke 51D, but want to "upgrade" to a different model. I'm trying to improve my higher range now that I've built it up but also don't want to damage my range in the bars. Is there a mouthpiece that could help this?

Oh, and I'm not really interested in a Bach 5G, 12c, etc.

Well 5G-type mouthpieces would be the place to start. Plenty of people play the 51D and love it. Because the 51D is at the bottom of the size chart any "upgrade" will typically be toward a bigger mouthpiece. The only exception I can think of would be the DEG BB1 which is similar to the 51D.

What horn do you play on?
    Adams E3 0.6 with SS Bell
    K&G 3.5D
    ---------------------------------
    Founder and Solo Euphonium
    San Francisco Brass Band

Practice. The 51D is a pretty small mouthpiece, and generally the standard for beginning euphonium players. You're in a good place with the Schilke, and if I had as few criteria for my new mouthpiece as you do, I'd just leave your setup alone. Just sit down with your horn and put in some work.

Just to warn you all, later today I'll move this whole thread to the Euphonium Mouthpieces category.
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

when i switched from the 51D, i went to the G&W Kadja, then to the perantucci 3c (4c is good too).
    everyone works differently though, i just tried a bunch till i found what worked for me
    Keera Allen
    Senior, Central Michigan University
    Music Education: Euphonium, specializing in baritone
    Willson 2950TA Euphonium
    Yamaha YBH 621 Baritone
    Nirschl I-400SP Baritone

Quote Originally Posted by EuphGirl05 View Post
    when i switched from the 51D, i went to the G&W Kadja, then to the perantucci 3c (4c is good too).
    everyone works differently though, i just tried a bunch till i found what worked for me
    Yup - try them until you find one you like. It's doubtful that you'll ever find the "perfect" mouthpiece. Pick one you like the way you play and sound on, then just use it. Happy hunting.
    My horn: Yamaha 642II Neo. My mouthpieces: Yamaha 51D, Yamaha 53SH, Denis Wick SM4X Ultra, Doug Elliot 104 J8

I have a willson euphonium and a Schilke 51D, I bought the horn from a shop in Melbourne fla as a consignment...the euphonium player from the USAF band in doc owned it before....would you recommend a different mouthpiece as I am principally a tuba player however have been playing euphonium now for about a year.....

Many Willson players like the 51D. My own preference from listening to Willson players is a Wick 4AM (for medium shank, which most 2900's have) or 4AL (for large shank). It offers a more open, singing sound, but it will take a while to get used to using it.
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

Thanks for the advice....would you know of a good place to get the Dennis wicke mouthpiece? Besides the mfgr in England?

Quote Originally Posted by Dweston58 View Post
    Thanks for the advice....would you know of a good place to get the Dennis wicke mouthpiece? Besides the mfgr in England?
    I can't copy the link -- go to amazon.com and search on "wick 4al".
    David Bjornstad

1923 Conn New Wonder 86I, Bach 6 1/2 AL
    2018 Wessex EP100 Dolce, Denis Wick 4ABL
    2013 Jinbao JBEP-1111L, Denis Wick 4AM
    2015 Jinbao JBBR-1240, Denis Wick clone mouthpiece of unknown designation
    Cullman (AL) Community Band (Euph Section Leader)
    Brass Band of Huntsville (2nd Bari)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast