Thread: FS: 1968 Besson Compensating Euphonium

FS: 1968 Besson Compensating Euphonium

SOLD

Make: Besson
    Model: New Standard (I believe - it was sold to me as a Sovereign, which I think is inaccurate, but some have called it a Boosey Imperial as well)
    Serial: 446XXX
    Valve System: 3+1 Compensating
    Finish: Satin Silver

This horn, despite its age, plays very, very well. The tone's a little bright for my taste, but it's consistent with the style at the time.

This is my first euphonium, purchased from the original owner in the summer of 2011. It's in original condition and has held up quite excellently. The only work its had done on it since I've owned it was a chemical clean shortly after the purchase, and according to the previous owner the only work done on it while he had it was a cosmetic fix on the bell (slight mark near the rim on one side of the horn). The original case (depicted in the final picture) is also included, although it has not held up quite as well as the horn (cosmetically - functionally, it's fine, just a bit heavy, being a wood case compared to molded plastic).

I'm selling it because I've gone a few years without really using it (opting instead for a more modern school-owned Sovereign for most performances) and recently found a really great deal on a Prestige. I regret having to sell the horn, as I'd love to keep it, but it's not financially feasible, and this horn really deserves to be played. I'm asking $2500 for it.

My apologies for the not-so-great picture quality, they're from my phone.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0001_2.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	1.28 MB 
ID:	1938Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0002_2.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	1.09 MB 
ID:	1939Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0003_2.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	1.21 MB 
ID:	1940Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0005_2.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	1.19 MB 
ID:	1942Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0006_2.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	1.18 MB 
ID:	1943Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0007_2.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	1.16 MB 
ID:	1944Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0009_2.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	1.17 MB 
ID:	1945
    Last edited by Kasil; 02-11-2014 at 01:09 PM.

That Besson looks to be in pristine condition. If I already didn't have one similar to it and in similar condition, I would be tempted!

Kyle Aufderhar

1982 Besson Imperial 767 euphonium (Giddings and Webster Carbonaria)
    1966 Salvation Army Triumphonic baritone (Doug Elliott, LT 100 rim, F cup, F3xs shank)

Lafayette Concert Band
    Acadian Wind Symphony
    University of Louisiana-Lafayette Wind Ensemble