Thread: FS: Martin Handcraft four-valve euphonium

1. FS: Martin Handcraft four-valve euphonium

Hi all,

I have for sale a vintage (mid 1920's) Martin Handcraft euphonium. The instrument has four top-action, inline valves of .560" bore and an 11.5" diameter bell. It is in very good condition, with 95% of its silver plating intact, very tight valves (recently rebuilt), and only a few dents (see pictures). A few modifications have been done to it as well:

-The third valve and main tuning slides have been shortened (both were too long).
    -A custom made, large shank receiver and leadpipe have been installed (the original leadpipe will be included as well). This opened up the sound and response of the instrument considerably, with no ill effects. I think it could even benefit from a taper that is wider still.
    -Valves one, two, and three have nylon guides.

The instrument comes with a small assortment of spare Martin euphonium parts that I have collected. I was planning to either have a "perfect fifth" fourth valve slide made for it or a fifth valve installed in the fourth valve tuning slide, and these parts would have helped with that operation.

There are a few characteristics of this euphonium that are worthy of note. First, the body of the instrument (top branch and bottom bow) is significantly larger ("fatter") than that of any other euphonium that I have ever seen (including modern compensating ones--see the comparison picture with a Besson, below). Because of this, the instrument, despite its smaller bore, plays and sounds more like a modern compensator than an "American baritone." Second, the intonation in the middle and upper registers is extremely good. The sixth partial is not sharp--at all! I have never played another euphonium that is more in tune in the main register of the instrument. The only problem notes are the low B-flat, A-natural, and A-flat, which are low (but manageable). Third, the horn has usable "false tones," much like some older American tubas. Finally, Martin euphoniums have a "reverse taper" main tuning slide like the ones that can be found on some trumpets and trombones, allowing for a more conical taper through that part of the instrument. I have often wondered why other euphonium models do not have this feature.

I seriously considered keeping this horn and selling my Besson. I eventually decided, though, that I just can't get used to the inline four valve non-compensating setup. I've always played compensating instruments, which means my pinky is practically useless...and I'd rather have the money than an instrument that I won't use much.

Asking $900. Please email for more information: funkhoss@gmail.com

Thanks,

Sam Funkhouser

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Front.JPG 
Views:	48 
Size:	169.3 KB 
ID:	1832Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Back.JPG 
Views:	40 
Size:	185.7 KB 
ID:	1833Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Comparison.JPG 
Views:	57 
Size:	181.5 KB 
ID:	1834Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Spare parts.JPG 
Views:	28 
Size:	214.9 KB 
ID:	1835
    Last edited by Funkhoss; 06-04-2013 at 09:08 AM.

2. Time for a bump!

3. Time for another bump!

I'm open to offers...