Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: International Brass Band Summer School - 2013

One more thing - registering for the IBBSS requires a nonrefundable 200 GBP deposit.

Doug, how did you arrange payment? They may or may not do Paypal, which offers a system in which one can make a payment in foreign currency.
    U.S. Army, Retired (built mid-1950s)
    Adams E2 Euph (built 2017)
    Boosey & Co. Imperial Euph (built 1941)
    Edwards B454 Bass Trombone (built 2012)
    Boosey & Hawkes Imperial Eb tuba (built 1958)
    Kanstul 33-T lBBb tuba (built 2010)

Quote Originally Posted by tampaworth View Post
    Thanks very much Eupher6 for the clarification! Among other performers, I've heard Doug Ruby on Youtube and was very impressed and somewhat humbled so thus my question. As long as one can go into an experience like this and be at least "middle of the road" it would be a blast. I'll have to check out their web site. This is certainly something I would love to do in the next few years! This January I'm going to the annual Windjammers convention in Bradenton FL for the first time (see circusmusic.org) which should likewise be a great time.
    I've always wanted to do the Windjammers convention, but haven't pulled the trigger on that one yet, either. Please definitely provide a full report when you get back!

3. Will do. I'm lucky for me it is a one hour drive from home to the Bradenton and Sarasota area where the Windjammers convention is held. A former professional trombonist who plays Euph next to me told me about it and she gave me a copy of their last newsletter. Although familiar with many of the composers and pieces, I was embarrassed to never have heard of Windjammers. Their reported membership is continuing to decline and without new members the very existence of Windjammers is threatened as senior members pass away and less people either listen to or appreciate that genre. The Sarasota area is loaded with prior aging circus musicians as this was home to many of them. The Ringling mansion and museum is a must see if ever in this area. This forum is a perfect opportunity to spread the word. Although in time this will all just be a piece of history, seems to early just yet for that to happen.
    Bob Tampa FL USA
    Euph -- 1984 B&H Round Stamp Sovereign 967 / 1978 Besson NS 767 / Early 90s Sterling MP: 4AL and GW Carbonaria
    Tuba -- 2014 Wisemann 900 CC / 2013 Mack 410 MP: Blokepiece Symphony American Shank and 33.2 #2 Rim

4. Quote Originally Posted by Eupher6 View Post
    One more thing - registering for the IBBSS requires a nonrefundable 200 GBP deposit.Doug, how did you arrange payment? They may or may not do Paypal, which offers a system in which one can make a payment in foreign currency.
    I arranged my payment via money transfer from my bank to the Childs bank. Alison can get you the information. Also, I would hold off on the 200GBP deposit until near the end of the calendar year. I usually want to have a chance to start planning my summer. I like to also attend a Tuba/Euphonium workshop if one is available (in past Mike Milnarik's CTEW). I have never had an issue with the camp being "full".Doug
    Adams E3 0.60 Sterling bell - Prototype top sprung valves
    Concord Band
    Winchendon Winds
    Townsend Military Band

Quote Originally Posted by daruby View Post
    I arranged my payment via money transfer from my bank to the Childs bank. Alison can get you the information. Also, I would hold off on the 200GBP deposit until near the end of the calendar year. I usually want to have a chance to start planning my summer. I like to also attend a Tuba/Euphonium workshop if one is available (in past Mike Milnarik's CTEW). I have never had an issue with the camp being "full".Doug
    Well, your own schedule is however you'll be planning it, as is mine. In terms of flights, I like to try and set this up early enough to capitalize on whatever deals I can manage to gin up and that takes time to research. The school itself isn't the big ticket item (though at $715 it isn't chump change), it's the flight. So I like to nail that down first.

Once that's nailed down, I'll be registering for the school. That might be a couple weeks or a couple months -- I don't know yet. One thing is for sure -- having the school in August puts things in Europe in tourist season so the price of flights is a lot higher than at other times of the year. Sure would be nice to have this at another time of the year, but that's the way it is.

The only other thing on my calendar at that time of the year is a military reunion in September, otherwise I've got a clear schedule so far.

I've had it in the back of my mind to find some how, some way, to once again play in a brass band and to do that in the UK. Hearing about this school has opened that door in a way that works for me. It's really great that you mentioned it!

6. Quote Originally Posted by RickF View Post
    i've heard Doug perform in solo contest at NABBA in Raleigh, NC about three years ago (on baritone). He's a very accomplished musician and dedicated to his craft. I hope that Doug can share a recording of him playing "Benedictus" with the brass band. Maybe?
    Rick, you asked and I now have this uploaded to the web. Click at this new link and you should be able to play the full "Armed Man - A Mass for Peace" excerpts. The euphonium/flugelhorn solo bit starts at 3:45.

(updated the acid planet link)
    Last edited by daruby; 08-20-2013 at 01:45 PM.
    Concord Band
    Winchendon Winds
    Townsend Military Band

Thanks for sharing, but the page tells me I need a plug-in for this to work. It doesn't say what I need though. My ACIDplanet page plays okay so maybe the link is not right, not sure.
    Rick Floyd
    Miraphone 5050 - Warburton BJ / RF mpc
    YEP-641S (recently sold)
    Doug Elliott - 102 rim; I-cup; I-9 shank

"Always play with a good tone, never louder than lovely, never softer than supported." - author unknown.
    Symphonic Band of the Palm Beaches
    El Cumbanchero (Raphael Hernandez, arr. Naohiro Iwai)
    Chorale and Shaker Dance
    (John Zdechlik)

8. Quote Originally Posted by RickF View Post
    Thanks for sharing, but the page tells me I need a plug-in for this to work. It doesn't say what I need though. My ACIDplanet page plays okay so maybe the link is not right, not sure.
    Rick, I updated the link. Try again and let me know if it works..
    Concord Band
    Winchendon Winds
    Townsend Military Band

Hi Doug,

Well the page looks like I'm used to seeing, but still says I need a plug-in. Then I went to my ACIDplanet page and I get the same thing. Hmm? I just updated FireFox (23.0.1) yesterday so I suspect I may be having a problem. Thanks though.
    Rick Floyd
    YEP-641S (recently sold)

"Always play with a good tone, never louder than lovely, never softer than supported." - author unknown.
    Chorale and Shaker Dance
    (John Zdechlik)

Okay Doug, I was able to play the mp3 using IE.
    Wow! You sound great! Very nice job! Nice tone and good vibrato.

I still remember the first time I listened to David Child's CD, "Hear My Prayer" where 'Benedictus' is recorded. I was listening on my PC with good speakers. I kept turning up the sound to hear the pp section better. All of a sudden, the band was fff. Yikes, I thought I'd blown my speakers.
    Last edited by RickF; 08-20-2013 at 02:09 PM.
    Rick Floyd
    YEP-641S (recently sold)

Chorale and Shaker Dance
    (John Zdechlik)

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123