X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • daniel76309
    • Oct 2012

Just ordered an Altieri gig bag

...from WWBW since they have a good price, plus 10% off, plus free shipping. So theoretically it is a good deal, but it is unfortunately on back order, so it may take a little while. (They had the larger version in stock but I ordered the smaller version to fit my New Standard--thinking that will be the best fit.) I am really looking forward to it. I wish I had had something like that years ago when I was in school with aching arms and hands from lugging that heavy case around.
  • davewerden
    Administrator
    • Nov 2005

Altieri bags rock! I'm just retiring one I got in the early '90's. The new one I got from Altieri is modestly improved since then and I'm quite happy with it.
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece DC3, Wick 4AL, Wick 4ABL
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

Comment

• daniel76309
      • Oct 2012

I forgot to mention--I based my purchase on your recommendation. I also like the fact that it is purple inside, just like my original Besson case. I considered ordering it with a purple exterior too just to be different, but combination of factors would have added ~$70 to the cost, so I couldn't quite justify it.

Comment

• JP
        • Jan 2007

I had and used an Altieri gig bag for awhile. I was always a little nervous when out with it. I was most fearful of bumping the bell on a door jamb. I don't think any bag can provide the same level of protection as a hard case. I guess we all need to weigh the pluses and minuses.

Comment

• davewerden
          Administrator
          • Nov 2005

Originally posted by JP View Post
          I had and used an Altieri gig bag for awhile. I was always a little nervous when out with it. I was most fearful of bumping the bell on a door jamb. I don't think any bag can provide the same level of protection as a hard case. I guess we all need to weigh the pluses and minuses.
          I hear you! If you whack the thing hard enough against the right shape, it is possible to hurt the horn. A student of mine who just got an Adams simply uses the Bonna case with shoulder straps all the time. It's heavier than a gig bag, but lighter and "friendlier" to your back than most hard cases.

I have had two different horns damaged in their case during flights, even though the case itself looked totally undamaged. There was a design problem with the case in both instances.

For me, I usually carry my Adams in the Altieri gig bag. I have been clumsy a few times with the Adams and previously with the Sterling, but never suffered damage in the Altieri bag. But for some situations I still use the Bonna case that came with my Adams. For example, if the venue is going to be crowded I like having the hard case. Then I can secure the horn during breaks, and if someone trips over it or drops something on it, my horn will be fine.

In the insurance industry they call it risk management.
          Dave Werden (ASCAP)
          Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
          Adams Artist (Adams E3)
          Alliance Mouthpiece DC3, Wick 4AL, Wick 4ABL
          YouTube: dwerden
          Facebook: davewerden
          Twitter: davewerden
          Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

Comment

• coolguy684
            • Feb 2011

Cases really need to prevent any movement of the horn. The 'blue pig' case that came with my Sov 967 was a deathtrap. That thing has no molded protection and only soft cloth on the inside. It's just a wooden box with less than an inch of cloth on the inside. That case inflicted major damage on my horn in transit, but I ended up keeping it. It really is an excellent horn.

But anyways, cases need to be like the ones that Yamaha and Besson ship with their horns, where thick foam is molded to the shape of the horn. Adding a bag of foam peanuts or bubble wrap into the bell will keep the horn from moving at all. This, coupled along with the hard shell and thick foam really protect the horn well. Willson's case lacks the molded foam, so if I bought one, first thing I'd do is put the Willson euph in one of my used Besson cases.
            Christopher Chen
            bolded are for sale
            B&H 967 - Globe Stamp
            B&H 960 (3 valve comp euph) - Globe Stamp
            Salvation Army Triumphonic Eb Alto, silver plated

On the lookout for:
            Silver plated:
            pre '93, post '06 Sovereign Alto/Tenor Horn
            pre '93, post '06 Sovereign Baritone (3 valve)

York/Sterling/LMI variants accepted

Comment

• RickF
              • Jan 2006

Originally posted by coolguy684 View Post
              Cases really need to prevent any movement of the horn. (Snip)
              One of the best hard case designs I've seen is the one for the Miraphone 5050. It has plenty of padding, the top and bottom fasten together in a track, and inside there's an arch support (covered in foam) just above the top bow to keep the bell from moving inside the case while in transit.

image of inside case
              Rick Floyd
              Miraphone 5050 - Warburton BJ / RF mpc

"Always play with a good tone, never louder than lovely, never softer than supported." - author unknown.
              Symphonic Band of the Palm Beaches

El Cumbanchero (Raphael Hernandez, arr. Naohiro Iwai)
              The Cowboys (John Williams, arr. James Curnow)
              Festive Overture(Dmitri Shostakovich)

Comment

• daniel76309
                • Oct 2012

I think the older Bessons like mine are pretty heavy duty. I mostly want the bag to facilitate carrying it and to protect the doors and walls that I am no doubt going to run into. (JK)

Comment

• highpitch
                  • Mar 2006

I've carried all my horns in an Aliteri bag for years, without even a close call.

Any time I am carrying it, it goes on my back and that is the safest mode of transport...nothing to hit.

Dennis

Comment

• tampaworth
                    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by daniel76309 View Post
                    I think the older Bessons like mine are pretty heavy duty.
                    You are totally right and it is an interesting deal that the New Standards and Imperials are so responsive and sweet sounding when they are built like a tank. The difference in metal thickness compared many thinner gauge horns is significant. It's a totally different concept of responsiveness I figure. As you mentioned in another post the idea of getting another horn is intriguing but then you would have to choose which to play -- I deal with that all the time and when I've neglected one or the other and pick it back up I'm thankful to have each of them. When you have two (or more) nice horns it's hard to pick favorites!
                    Bob Tampa FL USA
                    Euph -- 1984 B&H Round Stamp Sovereign 967 / 1978 Besson NS 767 / Early 90s Sterling MP: 4AL and GW Carbonaria
                    Tuba -- 2014 Wisemann 900 CC / 2013 Mack 410 MP: Blokepiece Symphony American Shank and 33.2 #2 Rim

Comment

• daniel76309
                      • Oct 2012

Well, the bag finally arrived yesterday. I really like it, and I am glad I waited to get the smaller bag--it fits my horn perfectly. (I think it would have been a sloppy fit in the bigger bag.) There is still plenty of room inside for a towel and a small pouch with mp, valve oil, etc., plus a zippered compartment for music. It is very comfortable as a "back pack"--I expect that is how I will mostly use it.

Comment

Working...
                      X