Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Demondrae MP

Having a broad, round rim may be just the ticket for people like me with full dentures. Since my CC tuba is coming along much better than my C tenor tuba, such a mouthpiece may be a better fit. It's probably out of my price range (mostly retired) but I'll look into it. Thanks, all, for bring it up and discussing it.

Got my Demondrae model in today, and this thing is magical. I tried it on my Sovereign first, and it was insane; the tone quality this piece puts out is flabbergasting. But, if you work on a horn with a bigger bore, high range will be a large focus during your first few weeks with this setup. For me, notes above high Gb or so are attainable, but there's some serious struggle to go through when you don't hit the note just right. It's a demanding piece in terms of air, but the payoff is more than justified; the tone is phenomenal, and the flexibility afforded by the rim size is outstanding. However, all these things can easily suffer if you're using this piece with a horn that's just too big for you; if you can't fill up the horn ALL THE TIME, you run the risk of having some serious intonation issues, along with your sound suffering. Case in point, I popped the Demondrae model into the Yamah 641 I've been trying to sell for a while, and the results were unbelievable. Given the smaller bore, I could fill the horn up all the time, and therefore my usual high range (up to a high Eb) remained totally intact, as did the tone quality (which I had thought would drop off with a smaller horn). I'm looking forward to spending more time with this mouthpiece, and it's driven me to contemplate finding a slightly smaller horn as my main ax, just so I can take advantage of this fantastic mouthpiece. To those of you thinking about buying this mouthpiece; do it. Do it now, and do it fast. It's too much fun to pass up.

Glad you like it. It is demanding, in that you need to be accurate with your note placement. I find the high range isn't impaired, quite the contrary, once I followed Demondrae's advice about making sure my teeth aren't too far apart above about F above the bass staff.

Don Winston

Just sat down with a practice mute and the Sovereign and started messing around with high Bb's and teeth placement. There's definitely a sweet spot to be found, it's just a question of finding it and using it. All the same, I'm thinking I might start looking at horns with smaller bore sizes just to make things a bit more manageable.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12