Thread: BARITONE solos

BARITONE solos

I am starting to put together my recital for the spring and since half will be on baritone I wanted to see what other pieces may be out and around for baritone
    Currently I have been working on La belle americaine and fantasia di concerto a lot on baritone for the recital.
    Keera Allen
    Senior, Central Michigan University
    Music Education: Euphonium, specializing in baritone
    Willson 2950TA Euphonium
    Yamaha YBH 621 Baritone
    Nirschl I-400SP Baritone

I find that songs work nicely. I remember a British soloist doing Sally in My Alley and it was lovely. I have done An Die Musik by Schubert, and that type of classical music works well. So do lighter songs. And some technical stuff is also good (as you are already exploring).
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

3. I would recommend 'Red flame' by Peter Meechan , It will add some variety to your recital, really good, fun piece!
    http://www.petermeechanmusic.co.uk/catalogue/red-flame/

Additionally, a slow melody can show contrast and outline the lyrical qualities of the Baritone, Donegal Bay by Paul Lovatt Cooper is a cracker and is written specifically for the Baritone.

Good Luck with your recital! :-)

thanks for the ideas =D definitely going to take a look!
    Keera Allen
    Senior, Central Michigan University
    Music Education: Euphonium, specializing in baritone
    Willson 2950TA Euphonium
    Yamaha YBH 621 Baritone
    Nirschl I-400SP Baritone

5. Keera,

You may already know this one, but if not, I just got a very beautiful arrangement of an Irish Folk Song "Donegal Bay" from David Childs. It's for baritone, would be happy to send it to you. Shoot me an email if you're interested: mceuph75@gmail.com

EDIT: I just noticed that euphoniumbrad has already mentioned Donegal Bay! This is the same arrangment.
    Last edited by cochranme; 07-11-2013 at 09:21 AM.
    Martin Cochran
    Adams Performing Artist
    mceuph75@gmail.com

Just wanted to point out that Donegal Bay is not an arrangement of a folk song, it was composed by Paul Lovett Cooper in the style of a folk song, but it isn't one.

Check out Escapology by Tom Davoren. Fun little short piece written for baritone. Martin Ellerby and Darroll Barry have both written concertos for baritone and brass band that have piano reductions. The Rhapsody for Baritone no. 2 (don quixote) by John Golland also has a piano reduction. Also, there is an album of romantic songs arranged by Kristy Rowe from her CD Romanze that is available.

Here's a Philip Sparke piece, "Scaramouche" which is written for baritone and is out in piano reduction. I have it on my stand and work on it a bit (on euph). If your tastes run to this style, you may want to consider it.

john

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TicCCY9aUXE

An interesting solo for Baritone is Sun by Bruce Fraser. It's pretty tough with a lot of high range work but has lyrical and technical sections. I've played it on euphonium with BB accompaniment. Not sure how the piano reduction works.

http://www.justmusicuk.com/publications/details/JM44662

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V7OJjHExn9Y

9. Quote Originally Posted by bbocaner View Post
    Just wanted to point out that Donegal Bay is not an arrangement of a folk song, it was composed by Paul Lovett Cooper in the style of a folk song, but it isn't one..

AHA! so THAT's why I haven't been able to find any lyrics to it! Thanks Barry!
    Martin Cochran
    Adams Performing Artist
    mceuph75@gmail.com