Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Wessex Compensting EEb "Symphonic" Review, Part 2

Obviously, I'll defer to Jonathan on this, since he's seen them side by side, but just to clarify, my impression is that the Solo EEb is pretty much the same size horn overall as the 19" EEb except for the bell size. My Solo is just over 34" high, which is roughly the same as the "Champion"s posted size. My only problem with the ergonomics (I'm 5'7') is that every so often my shoulder tells me it wishes my right arm could be lower, but that's adjustable (I don't use a stand). The two of us in our band both play "Solo"s, and I've heard no complaints about lack of noise from the tuba section.

--Frank
    Frank Manola

Pan American Eb, Meinl Weston 20, Wessex "Solo" EEb, King 2341 tubas
    Besson New Standard, TE 1150 compensating euphs
    Park Street Brass
    Old South UMC Brass & Organ, Reading MA
    Wakefield Retired Men's Club Band
    Windjammers Unlimited

Quote Originally Posted by fmanola View Post
    My only problem with the ergonomics (I'm 5'7') is that every so often my shoulder tells me it wishes my right arm could be lower, but that's adjustable (I don't use a stand).
    I've been quite surprised that playing this horn doesn't bother the severe shoulder arthritis I'm supposed to have (according to my orthopedic surgeon -- "Your shoulders are a mess."). But I have no problem with it and in fact find it more comfortable to play than a front-action horn. The tuba stand is a big help in that regard as well since it means I don't have to wrestle with the horn (I originally made it when I had my BBb front-action, and it works just as well with this horn).

You could probably effectively lower your right arm by raising the leadpipe further. And maybe bending it a bit back around the bell more. It took me quite a while to get used to the ergonomics of this instrument, and my old YEB-321S felt much more natural and comfortable to hold because of the angle between the leadpipe and the valves (closer to a right angle). With this horn I feel as though my elbow needs to be unnaturally forward a bit in order to get to the valves, and that puts more strain on the upper arm and shoulder. But that's a design characteristic of the Besson horns. Maybe it's a compromise so that people with shorter arms can reach the 4th valve.

You can cant the horn (on a stand or not), but only so far. Once the center of gravity gets outside the body of the horn, then you're using muscle power to keep it from falling over.

I think that with a few minor tweaks these 3+1 Besson-like horns could be made much more pleasant to hold, but they are what they are.
    Gary Merrill
    Wessex EEb Bass tuba (DW 3XL or 2XL)
    Mack Brass Compensating Euph (DE N106, Euph J, J9 euph)
    Amati Oval Euph (DE 104, Euph J, J6 euph)
    1924 Buescher 3-valve Eb tuba (with std US receiver), Kelly 25
    Schiller American Heritage 7B clone bass trombone (DE LB K/K10/112/14 Lexan, Brass Ark MV50R)
    1947 Olds "Standard" trombone (Olds #3)

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123