Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Softone mute?

Softone mute?

Has anyone tried fitting the Softone mute for large bass trombones on a euphonium? I saw that it should fit 10 - 10.5" bass bells, so I wonder if it would stretch to 11" or so? Not familiar with the sound or workings of these mutes, just thought it could be an interesting application, maybe for jazz settings. It may be telling that they aren't marketed for euph. Thanks for reading!
    Dave Lewis
    Community band player
    Besson 762
    Getzen Super-deluxe trombone
    Holton 156 trombone

I think it's a difference in bell flare, rather than bell size, that determines which horn it fits. Bone and euph bell flares are drastically different, so I think that the mute would just fall into the horn. You could beef up the pads if you really wanted to, but I think that it might create some other issues.

I haven't had time to formulate my thoughts, but DaTweeka sounds exactly right (as far as anyone can tell without actually having the gear in the same room).
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

I think you guys don't know what a softone mute is. There are no pads or corks. The bell flare doesn't matter at all, it's just the diameter. I have one for my bass trombone which is 9.5" bell, and you could certainly make it fit on a large bell bass trombone at 10.5". It is a little stretchy, but there's just no way you are going to stretch it over even an 11" bell euphonium.

OK, wrong assumptions. In that case I have no idea. Wouldn't the manufacturer be able to answer such a question?

Ira Nepus (designer of the mute)
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

I emailed Hornguys earlier today to see if they know. Mr. Nepus lists them as a retailer. Will let you know what they say. I'm still curious about whether the bigger bass bone mute will fit, I guess there are two sizes. Anyhow, thanks all for your time in responding!

Hornguys says the Softone won't work on euph because it's not deep enough. They suggested the new Wick travel mute as an alternative. They have them in stock. Thanks again to all for your interest, and kudos to Hornguys for the quick response.

8. Maybe you guys wanna check these out:
    http://www.wallacebrass.co.uk/

It has something no other mute has, as far as I know. (which aint far)
    it has adjustable resistance/volume.
    They aren't terribly expensive either. But I heard a new model is coming out for euph at the end of May, so I'm waiting till then.
    Christopher Chen
    bolded are for sale
    B&H 967 - Globe Stamp
    B&H 960 (3 valve comp euph) - Globe Stamp
    Salvation Army Triumphonic Eb Alto, silver plated

On the lookout for:
    Silver plated:
    pre '93, post '06 Sovereign Alto/Tenor Horn
    pre '93, post '06 Sovereign Baritone (3 valve)

York/Sterling/LMI variants accepted

I have both models of the Wallace baritone practice mute. One has the volume and resistance adjustment and the other has just the resistance. Both play pretty sharp. I can't tell any difference with either adjustment at any setting.

10. It's definitely that one? Not the 'Voight Brass' copy?
    How would you say it compares to the Wick practice mute?
    Christopher Chen
    bolded are for sale
    B&H 967 - Globe Stamp
    B&H 960 (3 valve comp euph) - Globe Stamp
    Salvation Army Triumphonic Eb Alto, silver plated

On the lookout for:
    Silver plated:
    pre '93, post '06 Sovereign Alto/Tenor Horn
    pre '93, post '06 Sovereign Baritone (3 valve)

York/Sterling/LMI variants accepted

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast