Thread: Replacement Valve Caps for Besson Imperial

1. Replacement Valve Caps for Besson Imperial

I have one Besson Imperial euphonium I use as primary horn. The valve caps/finger buttons (Place where fingers go to press down on valves) are very small and uncomfortable. I was wondering if I might be able to buy some valve caps used on a Besson sovereign or imperial, or any one of their newer models and it would fit. I just need more comfortable finger buttons that have the threading needed for the valves.

It's not just the threading but also the interface between the channel for the felt on the bottom and the top cover of the valve casing. You don't want to throw off your valve alignment. If you are willing to take the risk, though, I have a set of four lacquered brass finger buttons from a 1990s sovereign I can sell you.

'bbocaner' makes a good point. The finger button edges need to align properly with the top valve cap to contact the felt for proper valve port alignment.

Last edited by RickF; 07-04-2017 at 03:09 PM.
    Rick Floyd
    Miraphone 5050 - Warburton BJ / RF mpc
    YEP-641S (recently sold)
    Doug Elliott - 102 rim; I-cup; I-9 shank

"Always play with a good tone, never louder than lovely, never softer than supported." - author unknown.
    Symphonic Band of the Palm Beaches
    El Cumbanchero (Raphael Hernandez, arr. Naohiro Iwai)
    Chorale and Shaker Dance
    (John Zdechlik)

So I've had the opportunity to test a set of sovereign and prestige valve buttons on a new standard euphonium. They don't fit. Threading is different.

What about the possibility of buying some larger button "pearls" and just gluing them on top of the buttons you have? You could contour the edges with some fine sandpaper. The so-called "pearls" are available from several sources and in a number of sizes for euphoniums, tubas, and Sousaphones. Allied lists 13mm, 14.6mm, 15 mm, 15.5mm, 17mm and 17.8mm. Search on Ebay and you'll see all kinds. Votaw Tool Company also has some.

This approach would avoid any problems with the button not fitting or aligning properly with the valve cap. And I think if done carefully would not look particularly weird.

Tuba players -- for some reason lost in the mists of history, I'm sure -- have the habit of gluing coins on top of their valve buttons if they don't like how they feel or aren't quite in the correct positions. You could throw a few thousand dollars into antique gold coins for that purpose and you'd have a remarkable conversation piece as well.
    Gary Merrill
    Wessex EEb Bass tuba (DW 3XL or 2XL)
    Mack Brass Compensating Euph (DE N106, Euph J, J9 euph)
    Amati Oval Euph (DE 104, Euph J, J6 euph)
    1924 Buescher 3-valve Eb tuba (with std US receiver), Kelly 25
    Schiller American Heritage 7B clone bass trombone (DE LB K/K10/112/14 Lexan, Brass Ark MV50R)
    1947 Olds "Standard" trombone (Olds #3)

6. Quote Originally Posted by bbocaner View Post
    So I've had the opportunity to test a set of sovereign and prestige valve buttons on a new standard euphonium. They don't fit. Threading is different.
    Those were the new Besson, German built button sets, I'm assuming? My 1980 967 buttons, top, and bottom caps were all interchangeable with a New Standard.
    Christopher Chen
    bolded are for sale
    B&H 967 - Globe Stamp
    B&H 960 (3 valve comp euph) - Globe Stamp
    Salvation Army Triumphonic Eb Alto, silver plated

On the lookout for:
    Silver plated:
    pre '93, post '06 Sovereign Alto/Tenor Horn
    pre '93, post '06 Sovereign Baritone (3 valve)

York/Sterling/LMI variants accepted