Thread: Calling all Adams and Sterling aficionados!

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
  1. Question Calling all Adams and Sterling aficionados!

My first post to the forum... take it easy on me.

I've played a Besson Sovereign for the past 23 years and have wanted a Sterling Virtuoso for nearly as long, but the rave reviews of Adams are hard to ignore! The trouble is, I have no idea which Adams options will yield the desired results.

I'd like a tone somewhere between the Sterling Virtuoso IV with heavy red brass and the standard red brass models, but with the responsiveness of the standard red brass. Can't get enough of the singing quality of Sterling instruments. A shorter valve travel than the Sterling is definitely appreciated.

So, what Adams configuration produces the above? What metal gauge, bell material, E1 or E2 model, et al?

Regarding bell material, what does Adams mean by sterling silver (Ag) bell? Is the entire bell, from rim to bottom bow, made of solid Ag? If so, is it durable? When I spoke with the folks at Custom Music about the Ag bell option on Sterling brand euphoniums, they said it's only the top 4-5" of the bell that are Ag. They also said this particular application of Ag doesn't make much difference in tone. Thoughts?

On a somewhat unrelated note, I have zero patience for poor craftsmanship with respect to fit and finish? Does Adams have any plating issues (bubbles, peeling, et al) on the valve block?

Thanks for your feedback.

Peter
    Last edited by 50MilesToGo; 04-30-2013 at 10:19 PM. Reason: Strange formatting.