Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Tuba Gig Bags

1. Accessories in tuba gig bag

Quote Originally Posted by ghmerrill View Post
    I put NOTHING into my tuba bag except the TUBA . I don't want to put anything into the bell or into the case with the horn where it could mess up the action or finish.
    Of course everyone can have their own calculus on what is safe to carry in their tuba gig bags, besides the tuba. But I prefer to take an engineering approach to gig bag use and features, as opposed to putting nothing in the bag out of concern. One example is that I have this 30 year old Miraphone that I bought new, and it has been cared for very well and is free of dents even though it has been carried in Altieri (and other similar) gig bags exclusively (not hard cases ever used for it). Although the case padding combined with my careful handling prevent dents, the bottom bow lacquer is crazed with thousands of tiny scratches from contact with the inside of the gig bag. So, no damage to the horn except from what is caused by simple friction as the horn shifts slightly in the bag was it is carried. And those gig bags always had a folding music stand in their outer pockets, along with several mouthpieces, tuners, clothes pins, music folders, a zippered valve maintenance tool kit, lubricants, etc. As an engineer, this tells me that as long as the pockets and pouches are properly positioned and padded, there is no fear of them damaging the horn. The largest item, and the one I was most concerned would hurt the horn, was the metal music stand. But on those gig bags, the stand was in a padded sheath that was positioned alongside the valve rotors on the side of the horn that would usually be grasped by the left hand, with the stand parallel to the main tubing section that goes from the top bow to the bottom bow. This is a great place for the stand, and experience has proven that no damage came to horn from it. I would not hesitate to place stands in such a position in a gig bag.

On my Conn 24J/25J gig bag, I have a rolled plastic tube inside a drawstring sheath, sized to fit inside the bell tube below the detachable bell ring. Nothing in this accessory bag can scratch or dent the horn...it would be impossible given the design. Nothing can escape the bag to get out into the inside of the gig bag (and possibly scratch the horn) because the drawstring closure will not open the way it is designed, and I put the smaller items inside their own smaller drawstring bag that is in turn put inside the larger accessory bag. Consider all the trumpet players who use the spider stands for their trumpets that fold up and fit inside the bell. If the storage is designed properly, there is no possible damage to the horn.

Frankly, the main thing that worries me are things like euphoniums with the side operated 4th valves, when put into gig bags. This is just a bent valve stem waiting to happen, but most players I know who have these lock that valve down for transit, and as long as they remember to do that there is no chance of damage.

I would hate to have to cart around all my tuba accessories separately from the tuba gig bag.

So, the prodigal son returns.

Still has the Gard case and Gary guessed correctly, it wears like iron! I have run it through all the paces with no damage to the instrument and the case only looks a few weeks old. I would definitely recommend them.
    Dan

York 3082 - Silver 3+1
    Giddings & Webster Bayamo Heavyweight

Practice by itself is not fun but it sure makes performing an absolute blast!

3. Quote Originally Posted by Paul Schmidt View Post
    Of course everyone can have their own calculus on what is safe to carry in their tuba gig bags, besides the tuba. But I prefer to take an engineering approach to gig bag use and features, as opposed to putting nothing in the bag out of concern. One example is that I have this 30 year old Miraphone that I bought new, and it has been cared for very well and is free of dents even though it has been carried in Altieri (and other similar) gig bags exclusively (not hard cases ever used for it). Although the case padding combined with my careful handling prevent dents, the bottom bow lacquer is crazed with thousands of tiny scratches from contact with the inside of the gig bag. So, no damage to the horn except from what is caused by simple friction as the horn shifts slightly in the bag was it is carried. And those gig bags always had a folding music stand in their outer pockets, along with several mouthpieces, tuners, clothes pins, music folders, a zippered valve maintenance tool kit, lubricants, etc. As an engineer, this tells me that as long as the pockets and pouches are properly positioned and padded, there is no fear of them damaging the horn. The largest item, and the one I was most concerned would hurt the horn, was the metal music stand. But on those gig bags, the stand was in a padded sheath that was positioned alongside the valve rotors on the side of the horn that would usually be grasped by the left hand, with the stand parallel to the main tubing section that goes from the top bow to the bottom bow. This is a great place for the stand, and experience has proven that no damage came to horn from it. I would not hesitate to place stands in such a position in a gig bag.

On my Conn 24J/25J gig bag, I have a rolled plastic tube inside a drawstring sheath, sized to fit inside the bell tube below the detachable bell ring. Nothing in this accessory bag can scratch or dent the horn...it would be impossible given the design. Nothing can escape the bag to get out into the inside of the gig bag (and possibly scratch the horn) because the drawstring closure will not open the way it is designed, and I put the smaller items inside their own smaller drawstring bag that is in turn put inside the larger accessory bag. Consider all the trumpet players who use the spider stands for their trumpets that fold up and fit inside the bell. If the storage is designed properly, there is no possible damage to the horn.

Frankly, the main thing that worries me are things like euphoniums with the side operated 4th valves, when put into gig bags. This is just a bent valve stem waiting to happen, but most players I know who have these lock that valve down for transit, and as long as they remember to do that there is no chance of damage.

I would hate to have to cart around all my tuba accessories separately from the tuba gig bag.
    Hi Paul

I'm sorry to bring that up after so much time.

I just recently bought a Conn 20J without a bag or case.

Do you have the plans for the bag you built or do you have the time to build a 2 piece bag and sell them to users?

I haven't been able to find any bags on the internet for this Conn 20J with the upright bell within a reasonable price and attention to details to players like you have.

Thank you for the consideration
    Last edited by victormatta; 01-24-2023 at 02:12 PM.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345