Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Tuba Gig Bags

Looks like the Virtuosi is the winner this time around. It is on backorder right now so I have to lug around the monster case for a few more weeks. While their cases are only about $160 you pay around $90 to get them shipped here since they only seem to be sold in England.

Just an FYI to everyone, you will note I play a tuba frequently used in British Brass Bands so the cases that fit tend to only be sold out of England. Most of the American standard cases that fit the bell on my horn are about 6" or more too deep for the horn I have. The 19" bell with a 35" deep horn is a unique combination for most American manufacturers.
    Dan

York 3082 - Silver 3+1
    Giddings & Webster Bayamo Heavyweight

Practice by itself is not fun but it sure makes performing an absolute blast!

Quote Originally Posted by bigdh2000 View Post
    The 19" bell with a 35" deep horn is a unique combination for most American manufacturers.
    Although Altieri for one (and there may be others) will let you send the dimensions and they will make the case to fit.
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

Quote Originally Posted by bigdh2000 View Post
    Looks like the Virtuosi is the winner this time around.

Please post a review when it comes in. I looked at the information about them on the web and there wasn't much detail so far as I could see. Saying, for example, that they are made of "gig bag material" I found to be less than enlightening .

It's too bad that shipping anything (I mean virtually ANYTHING) costs so much nowadays. And I wish vendors would be a little smarter about it since I've discovered (shipping things I've sold on Ebay) that you can often substantially reduce cost if you put some time into comparing (Like how many people know about USPS "Regional Rate"? And why did it just cost me less to ship Priority than Parcel Select? Well, maybe some clues there about the USPS financial situation.) Alas, I suspect that the alternatives for shipping the likes of tuba gig bags are limited.
    Gary Merrill
    Wessex EEb Bass tuba (DW 3XL or 2XL)
    Mack Brass Compensating Euph (DE N106, Euph J, J9 euph)
    Amati Oval Euph (DE 104, Euph J, J6 euph)
    1924 Buescher 3-valve Eb tuba (with std US receiver), Kelly 25
    Schiller American Heritage 7B clone bass trombone (DE LB K/K10/112/14 Lexan, Brass Ark MV50R)
    1947 Olds "Standard" trombone (Olds #3)

Quote Originally Posted by 58mark View Post
    In looking at duffles that didn't smell, I ran across this... It looks to be the perfect size for my little Eb. I can add padding if needed

http://www.amazon.com/CalPak-Temptat...+Temptation+32

This came in the mail today. tuba fits in it, but tomorrow the gig bag comes in, so I will have to see which one is better. If I use the duffel, I'm going to have to ad some foam to it.

Its nice though, very well built

Quote Originally Posted by 58mark View Post
    This came in the mail today. tuba fits in it, but tomorrow the gig bag comes in, so I will have to see which one is better. If I use the duffel, I'm going to have to ad some foam to it.

Its nice though, very well built
    What about a rigid frame? The duffels I've used (one as a "tuba support vehicle") have rigid frames along the bottom to which the telescoping handle is attached. Without some foam (or perhaps a solid "bottom" that you insert, and then padding), this could do some damage to an instrument. Does this have such a frame?

Also, can you send the dimensions of your tuba (bell diameter, height from bottom of bow to bell rim, width from mouthpiece receiver to outer bow)? Just in case my smelly duffel doesn't work out .
    Gary Merrill
    Schiller American Heritage 7B clone bass trombone (DE LB K/K10/112/14 Lexan, Brass Ark MV50R)

To keep an eye on: Jonathan Hodgetts of Wessex Tubas informs me that they will shortly be offering their own line of gig bags (I presume manufactured in China). Don't have any more details at this time except that the new Wexxex Wyvern logo will be displayed on them. Currently Wessex offers Gotz gig bags -- which are pricey.
    Gary Merrill

The allegedly smelly bag arrived today. It's not smelly. It's obviously used, but not heavily, and is clean and odor free. For it's intended purpose it is usable, but it's just a bit smaller than I had hoped. It's difficult to get the bag top up over the bell (bell is 17"), and then the bag won't close fully over it. I don't see this as a real problem.

If I do decide to use it, I'll have to do something about the metal grommets used for closing the top since these will not be real good for the finish on the horn. Perhaps they can be replaced with plastic ones, or I may just remove them entirely. I will probably think of an alternative over time, such as the rolling duffel. But this bag will be useful for other stuff around here.
    Gary Merrill

My horn is very small. 14" bell, and no more than 32" in height. I could add padding (and would need to) but the gig bag I bought off ebay arrived today, and it's great. the bell is about 2" too big and hte body is slightly too long, but it's well built and decently padded, so I think I'll use it. I might someday see if I cna find somebody to "take it in" but until then it will do fine

found the maker of the bag I bought! very interesting. Looks like a got a bargain

https://www.violins.ca/cases/bags_tuba.html

Looks nice. But the "Using the Duralite Tuba Bag" frame at the bottom of the page indicates that the tuba should be placed in the bag with the mouthpiece inserted in the lead pipe, and that "any other way is incorrect".
    Gary Merrill

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast