Sponsor Banner

Collapse

For Sale: Genuine Besson Euphonium felts (multiple sets)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • tampaworth
    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by daruby View Post
    The cork washers provide additional spacing and firmness to the compression (down stroke) and rebound (up stroke) of the piston valves.
    Interesting. I did notice that, although smooth and quiet, the upstroke seems a little "bouncier" than normal with the new felts sans the cork shim. Maybe I will give the synthetic felts a try. Thank you for this very helpful info.
    Bob Tampa FL USA
    Euph -- 1984 B&H Round Stamp Sovereign 967 / 1978 Besson NS 767 / Early 90s Sterling MP: 4AL and GW Carbonaria
    Tuba -- 2014 Wisemann 900 CC / 2013 Mack 410 MP: Blokepiece Symphony American Shank and 33.2 #2 Rim

Comment

• ghmerrill
      • Dec 2011

Be aware that there is a range of firmness or "bounciness" available in the synthetic materials (as there is with bumper material for rotary instruments). To some degree these are color coded. Most of these that are readily available (e.g., from places like J. L. Smith) seem to be made by Valentino (which also makes synthetic water key "corks" of which I think very highly). The "felts" and "corks" seem to be color coded, though I'm not sure how reliable that is. My synthetic "corks" (i.e., used where a valve stem cork would be in my euphonium) are black and pretty firm. One of the felts I use (now in the Eb tuba as well) is less firm and is gray. And an even less firm one (which I'm using in the valve cap) is white. I tried the black ones in different places, but got a "whump! whump!" effect from the valves that I found a little jarring and distracting . There is a trade-off between robustness on the one hand, and noise and feel on the other.
      Gary Merrill
      Wessex EEb Bass tuba (DW 3XL or 2XL)
      Mack Brass Compensating Euph (DE N106, Euph J, J9 euph)
      Amati Oval Euph (DE 104, Euph J, J6 euph)
      1924 Buescher 3-valve Eb tuba (with std US receiver), Kelly 25
      Schiller American Heritage 7B clone bass trombone (DE LB K/K10/112/14 Lexan, Brass Ark MV50R)
      1947 Olds "Standard" trombone (Olds #3)

Comment

• tampaworth
        • Nov 2010

Thank you very much for this additonal info as well as the source. Probably will research it a bit and stock up on a couple different ones (based on your experience) and experiment a bit by trial and error -- shouldn't break the bank too badly and will be a learning experience!
        Bob Tampa FL USA
        Euph -- 1984 B&H Round Stamp Sovereign 967 / 1978 Besson NS 767 / Early 90s Sterling MP: 4AL and GW Carbonaria
        Tuba -- 2014 Wisemann 900 CC / 2013 Mack 410 MP: Blokepiece Symphony American Shank and 33.2 #2 Rim

Comment

• ghmerrill
          • Dec 2011

Here is the really valuable information source -- that for some reason is quite difficult to find on the site. Sorry I don't have a better link to it, but this one always seems to work:

Valve washer sizing chart
          Gary Merrill
          Wessex EEb Bass tuba (DW 3XL or 2XL)
          Mack Brass Compensating Euph (DE N106, Euph J, J9 euph)
          Amati Oval Euph (DE 104, Euph J, J6 euph)
          1924 Buescher 3-valve Eb tuba (with std US receiver), Kelly 25
          Schiller American Heritage 7B clone bass trombone (DE LB K/K10/112/14 Lexan, Brass Ark MV50R)
          1947 Olds "Standard" trombone (Olds #3)

Comment

• tampaworth
            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by ghmerrill View Post
            Here is the really valuable information source -- that for some reason is quite difficult to find on the site. Sorry I don't have a better link to it, but this one always seems to work:

Valve washer sizing chart
            Got it Thanks a lot!
            Bob Tampa FL USA

Comment

• coolguy684
              • Feb 2011

Updated first post. I ordered quite a few more sets. I will update again when they arrive.
              Christopher Chen
              bolded are for sale
              B&H 967 - Globe Stamp
              B&H 960 (3 valve comp euph) - Globe Stamp
              Salvation Army Triumphonic Eb Alto, silver plated

On the lookout for:
              Silver plated:
              pre '93, post '06 Sovereign Alto/Tenor Horn
              pre '93, post '06 Sovereign Baritone (3 valve)

York/Sterling/LMI variants accepted

Comment

• coolguy684
                • Feb 2011

updated post, 9 sets available.
                Christopher Chen
                bolded are for sale
                B&H 967 - Globe Stamp
                B&H 960 (3 valve comp euph) - Globe Stamp
                Salvation Army Triumphonic Eb Alto, silver plated

On the lookout for:
                Silver plated:
                pre '93, post '06 Sovereign Alto/Tenor Horn
                pre '93, post '06 Sovereign Baritone (3 valve)

York/Sterling/LMI variants accepted

Comment

Working...
                X