Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Magnetic dent removal

Why do you want to buff/polish it? There is a significant chance that by doing this you will thin the brass and affect the performance of the horn. If it plays "really well", then why not just play it?
    Gary Merrill
    Wessex EEb Bass tuba (DW 3XL or 2XL)
    Mack Brass Compensating Euph (DE N106, Euph J, J9 euph)
    Amati Oval Euph (DE 104, Euph J, J6 euph)
    1924 Buescher 3-valve Eb tuba (with std US receiver), Kelly 25
    Schiller American Heritage 7B clone bass trombone (DE LB K/K10/112/14 Lexan, Brass Ark MV50R)
    1947 Olds "Standard" trombone (Olds #3)

i can log in and cant post...............

it rejects my postings if i write over a paragraph

I logged out and back in so I'll try this. I am not looking to "polish" this baritone to mirror finish. Just clean it up a little. Due to its age the lacquer is fatigued, and the tarnish is really bad. I go this one really cheap. It had a stuck key, broken separator pins, and a lot of massive dents. I have since been able to remove many of the dents with dent balls, my magnet is advertised at 233lbs of pull but I don't think so. I have ordered a 550lbs of pull to see if I can really pull some bad dents out of the loaner the school loaned my daughter. We all know it is hard to get a kid to want to play let alone practice a min time everyday, and if we are able to provide a horn they are proud to play it makes the whole practice deal much more enjoyable. I also have several older horns I would like to just touch up. This finish issue has me lost I am trying navel jelly now along with citric jelly to see if it removes at least the tarnish from the tuning slides. I'll see. I would really love to get the baritone a uniform finish, not shiny mirror brass, just uniform. It's a marching band and looks are everything. yours red

ok here's the problem posting If I hit quick reply it will tell me I don't have permission to post in a new window, if I hit ok, them down below hit advanced it will open a new window for me to log in then it will return me to the post quick reply page. This is after logging in to start with, is this normal??? red

Quote Originally Posted by red423 View Post
    ok here's the problem posting If I hit quick reply it will tell me I don't have permission to post in a new window, if I hit ok, them down below hit advanced it will open a new window for me to log in then it will return me to the post quick reply page. This is after logging in to start with, is this normal??? red
    Not sure why you have to keep logging in (assuming you click the "Remember Me?" box BEFORE you click "Log in"). But the message about a new window is not from the forum. It is a permissions thing from your browser, or from an ad blocking ad-on you may have installed.
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

Ok I just hit the remember me button, I am hoping more people remember me but if not, this will have to do. hahahahaha, I am still messing with the dent balls, seems the much older brass becomes a little hardened in storage and requires a stronger magnet to remove the dents. As I said, I have a 550lbs coming today, Also to anyone doing this I wear gloves all the time, this is to stop my body oils and such from contaminating the balls or the magnet. I also use the plastic top off those plastic soup containers you get from either a restaurant or a chinese take out. The rim of the lid helps to keep the magnet from falling off the plastic and scratching the brass. I am still trying to focus on the cleaning. I have tried naval jelly, it was so-so, I tried citric gel, it did nothing, now onto a test with citric powder mixed with warm water, I will test on an older trumpet I have here and see if it does what they claim. This is a father daughter project, seems the more I get the dents out of the one the school loaned to her, which were excessive in my opinion. The more she will practice. If I can find a stripping soulution that will work I would love to strip at least the bell of the loaner and re lacquer just so it shines out. we'll see. I grab some pics of the damage on that loaner as I have gotten the worst ones half out I can't believe they were that deep and still played...........yours red

a note to Dave, yes hitting the "remember me" seems to have fixed the issue. I want to thank you for your patience. yours red

Quote Originally Posted by red423 View Post
    ... seems the much older brass becomes a little hardened in storage and requires a stronger magnet to remove the dents.
    In general the older brass is a harder alloy (rather than becoming hardened over time), and perhaps it is thicker as well.
    Gary Merrill
    Wessex EEb Bass tuba (DW 3XL or 2XL)
    Mack Brass Compensating Euph (DE N106, Euph J, J9 euph)
    Amati Oval Euph (DE 104, Euph J, J6 euph)
    1924 Buescher 3-valve Eb tuba (with std US receiver), Kelly 25
    Schiller American Heritage 7B clone bass trombone (DE LB K/K10/112/14 Lexan, Brass Ark MV50R)
    1947 Olds "Standard" trombone (Olds #3)

It would be interesting to see a video of this (using a magnet for dent removal) in action, if possible....
    - Sara
    Baritone - 3 Valve, Compensating, JinBao JBBR1240

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast