Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Frankeneuph (ish)

1. Frankeneuph (ish)

Just wondering, what would your thoughts be on this:

I have a B&H Round Stamp Sov, and the bell has a tiny crack where the bell and top bow brace together. The crack doesn't go all the way through, and I am assuming it couldn't affect the horn much because that part of the bell doesn't even vibrate much, its just the fact that it is there. I want to sell it, but the crack kind of makes it difficult. What would you folks think about a Round Stamp that has a new bell fitted? I was thinking about getting a replacement bell, the same one that goes on the new 967's. Would this help me sell the horn?

I would wonder if you couldn't have the crack repaired (by someone who really knew what he/she was doing) and end up spending less money than for a replacement bell while retaining the integrity of the original instrument.
    Gary Merrill
    Wessex EEb Bass tuba (DW 3XL or 2XL)
    Mack Brass Compensating Euph (DE N106, Euph J, J9 euph)
    Amati Oval Euph (DE 104, Euph J, J6 euph)
    1924 Buescher 3-valve Eb tuba (with std US receiver), Kelly 25
    Schiller American Heritage 7B clone bass trombone (DE LB K/K10/112/14 Lexan, Brass Ark MV50R)
    1947 Olds "Standard" trombone (Olds #3)

Quote Originally Posted by coolguy684 View Post
    Just wondering, what would your thoughts be on this:

I have a B&H Round Stamp Sov, and the bell has a tiny crack where the bell and top bow brace together. The crack doesn't go all the way through, and I am assuming it couldn't affect the horn much because that part of the bell doesn't even vibrate much, its just the fact that it is there. I want to sell it, but the crack kind of makes it difficult. What would you folks think about a Round Stamp that has a new bell fitted? I was thinking about getting a replacement bell, the same one that goes on the new 967's. Would this help me sell the horn?
    http://www.dwerden.com/forum/showthr...l=1#post100538

This post kinda sums up the problems you're looking at. Some sort of stressor, or trauma to the metal has caused the crack. Any fix will be purely cosmetic. The crack has compromised the integrity of the horn. Not only is the crack a weak point in the horn, but the area around the crack will be weak too. As that material gets weaker the crack will become larger. Apologies in advance to Fsung if I missed something in a short summary. But as Gary suggests, look for someone that really knows how to do this.

Hi
    I can think of three reasons why to repare the bell instead of replacing:
    Firstly reparing will be less expensive, a new soveriegn bell is around about 300 pounds new.
    Secondly a modern 967 bell will be made of a thinner gauge metal so you will compromise the sound of 'the euphonium'.
    Thirdly if a classic round stamp doesn't have its original bell (with the 'round stamp' / 'map of the world' / 'Globe' on it), is it still a round stamp- you've instantly devalued it!

Having said this I'm about to do an experiment on my Imperial from the same period as my own round stamp. I'm putting a modern Soveriegn 12" bell and eminence leadpipe on it! The bell is raw brass and unstamped but came from F Lamberts platers aquired from the old Besson factory when it was cleared out and I got it for 50 pounds! Sacreligious I know, but its not the prettiest imperial and I do have my reasons...... anyway its for a seperate post when the experiment is complete.

Cheers
    Dave
    Last edited by ydave; 03-15-2013 at 09:00 AM.

5. Perhaps I ought to just keep it for myself. And not worry about it. The valves are awesone and ai probably will be hard-pressed to find a better euph for 2000, which is about what I might be able to get for the horn after the bell work is done. And then if it becomes an actual structural issue I will get the bell of an old Imperial or New Standard and enjoy the 11 inch bell's more focused sound.

Then turn the cracked bell into a cool piece of furniture?

Quote Originally Posted by coolguy684 View Post

Then turn the cracked bell into a cool piece of furniture?
    A bird bath....

7. An awesome umbrella holder?

But it might be interesting though, having the 11 inch bell. Also, I am not sure whether or not I would solder the leadpipe to the bell. That could be an option as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Markmc611 View Post
    http://www.dwerden.com/forum/showthr...l=1#post100538

This post kinda sums up the problems you're looking at. Some sort of stressor, or trauma to the metal has caused the crack. Any fix will be purely cosmetic. The crack has compromised the integrity of the horn. Not only is the crack a weak point in the horn, but the area around the crack will be weak too. As that material gets weaker the crack will become larger. Apologies in advance to Fsung if I missed something in a short summary. But as Gary suggests, look for someone that really knows how to do this.
    I don't believe Felix meant exactly what the above summary states. He described a fix that really does address the issue, and is not very difficult. It should still be done by a skilled repair person, and I imagine they would also put a small patch over the repair if the crack is not very long. This can be very artfully done. How long is this crack?
    -Carroll

9. The crack is very tiny, it can almost be likened to a deep scratch. It's not possible to photograph. It is on the inside of the bell, next to where the bell and top bow meet.

It sounds as if someone who is skilled could make an unobtrusive and effective repair. It's possible that the crack has been there since it was built; it may have been an internal flaw that was invisible initially.
    You should show it to such a person when you have the chance; it may not be too expensive and may help you sell it if you decide to.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast