Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: What to buy?

Thanks to all who have responded here. I am in the process of listening carefully to recordings made on the euphonium and also the baritone horn. Mr. Werden sounds great! Incidentally, I really wish that people who played in ensembles with solo artists could lower the volume so that the soloist can be clearly heard.

As for true baritone horns, can anyone tell me if the ybh-301 is worth getting? I'm also open to other brands. Resale value is important as well. I really find myself preferring the sound of the baritone horn over the euph. Comments?

3. The YBH seems to roughly follow the pricing of the 321, but sells slower and for somewhat less money. They don't really depreciate lower than say 600-750 in good condition. I have heard that for British brass bands, the YBH is considered too bright, but that's for you to decide, depending on what sound you desire.

That being said, the classis baritone of choice is a Sovereign 955. But make sure you buy one from before '93 and after '07. The York, Sterling, and LMI equivalents are probably good too, just not as widely used.

Does anyone have first hand experience with the King 2266 model artist series?

I also have noticed that besson has a model called 1065, 3+1 euphonium. Would this be a good model?

6. I really find myself preferring the sound of the baritone horn over the euph.
    Today I attended a performance of the Roman Festival Brass out of Rome, Ga, in which they debuted their recently acquired altoniums and barytons (the euphs are player-owned) made by JPacker (or some such). It was instructive to compare the sound(s) of altos, barys, and euphs; I still prefer the euph.

I got to talk with one of their euph players after the concert, and he opined that, beyond a certain point, "darkness" of tone is highly dependent on mouthpiece selection. Something to keep in mind. I have noticed how my darker my jurassic Holton gets when I go from the Ross mpc to a 6 1/2 AL and wondered if I should attempt a 5G.

Another enlightening moment from the concert; about 40% of the ensemble graduated from the University where I work: Jacksonville State.
    Harry Nuttall

Bach Stradivarius New York model 8II tenor trombone #28xx
    Besson New Standard #438xxx
    Besson "Prototype" euphonium #510xx
    Conn 30I Wonderphone double-belled euphonium #327xxx
    Hawkes & Son Excelsior Sonorous #534xx
    Holton Revelation euphonium #753xx
    Holton Revelation euphonium #797xx

7. How do those of you playing top valve horns prevent carpal tunnel issues, strains, etc?
    Sorry to be tardy getting to this. I play an ancient (three) top-valve Holton which is a tall-stack horn and therefore is a tall horn in general when compared to contemporary euphs. From decades playing upright and electric bass I know the importance of keeping things from the shoulders to the fingertips in as straight a line as possible. I try to incorporate this into my (seated) euph playing posture.

The receiver on my Holton is just a smackerel higher than the valve buttons and I like to keep my back straight (no euphonium slouch for me), so the horn has no contact at all with my lap. I keep the bell vertical and press the lower bell-side bow against my abdomen; that is the only support my torso gives the horn. My left hand grips the first valve slide with the index finger crossing in front to go through the pull ring on the second valve slide; thumb goes behind the first valve tubing to rest against the base of the first-valve casing. An alternative, change-of-pace grip is to grasp the third-valve slide with the right hand, either just above or just below the support brace on the main tuning slide. Below works best; above tends to lower the horn a bit and messes up my alignment with the mouthpiece.

What this gives me for the valve hand: fingertips/pads coming off the valve buttons dead horizontal to the second knuckle (pinky has no valve, so it floats); fingers bending gently at the second knuckle down through the hand down through the wrist to the elbow, a gentle descent which keeps the wrist either dead straight or in a very slightly collapsed position -- straight to all intents an purposes. Upper arm from elbow to shoulder is straight. I would say the drop from the fingers to the elbow is maybe forty-five degrees descending, with the ascent from the elbow to the shoulder being about the same. Nothing extreme. If I elevate my arm more to the horizontal it's going to be from the shoulder, so that all-important straight line through the wrist is maintained.

Once I begin playing I tilt the horn the smallest amount I can to the right, just enough so the bell does not interfere with my view of the music. For me, the more vertical the bell is, the better. I find that if I angle the horn further and further to the right, there comes a point where the entire right hand through shoulder positioning gets messed up and my right elbow grinds into my ribs, and the right wrist collapses horribly.
    Harry Nuttall

Bach Stradivarius New York model 8II tenor trombone #28xx
    Besson New Standard #438xxx
    Besson "Prototype" euphonium #510xx
    Conn 30I Wonderphone double-belled euphonium #327xxx
    Hawkes & Son Excelsior Sonorous #534xx
    Holton Revelation euphonium #753xx
    Holton Revelation euphonium #797xx

As an update, I am still considering different horns. I am also starting to become interested in tubas, which I will ask about in a different thread. Thanks to all who responded.

Quote Originally Posted by xeysxeys View Post
    As an update, I am still considering different horns. I am also starting to become interested in tubas, which I will ask about in a different thread. Thanks to all who responded.
    Oh, that's the road to ruin.
    Gary Merrill
    Wessex EEb Bass tuba (DW 3XL or 2XL)
    Mack Brass Compensating Euph (DE N106, Euph J, J9 euph)
    Amati Oval Euph (DE 104, Euph J, J6 euph)
    1924 Buescher 3-valve Eb tuba (with std US receiver), Kelly 25
    Schiller American Heritage 7B clone bass trombone (DE LB K/K10/112/14 Lexan, Brass Ark MV50R)
    1947 Olds "Standard" trombone (Olds #3)

Any opinions on the Jupiter 570?

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast