Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Okay - Call me an Adams Groupie...

Okay - Call me an Adams Groupie...

After my visit to TMEA a few weeks ago and really enjoying play-testing just about anything that was euph-related, including all of the various models of the Adams, I am working with a dealer (they're new to the Adams fold, so I don't know if I should mention the name at present) to order an E1.

Like most who have played and/or obtained an Adams, I liked the SS bell. It has a core and resonance that I simply enjoyed.

Granted, I didn't have the opportunity to play-test the horn in a large room (unless you factor in all the screaming trumpet players and lots of conversations going on in a cavern the size of the conference site), but as have many have noted, it's easy to see quality workmanship and how the horn basically slots and plays. I liked what I played, though the E2 model was just a bit too big and heavy for my tastes.

The dealer tells me 12-15 week wait time.

And the dealer will take my Sterling Virtuoso in on trade, which is a relief. Most dealers don't want to deal in trade-ins any more, I've recently learned.

I have been perhaps unnecessarily picky about the limited - but obvious - intonation issues that my particular Sterling has, but they seem to be consistent with what others have reported. I've played my Sterling with two different mouthpieces over a period of time and get pretty similar results - 4th space G is extremely sharp - about 40 cents - and the 6th partial is barely controllable even with the trigger. While I like the sound, the intonation quirks are what finally did in the Sterling for me. I've been fighting them for some time now.
    U.S. Army, Retired (built mid-1950s)
    Adams E2 Euph (built 2017)
    Boosey & Co. Imperial Euph (built 1941)
    Edwards B454 Bass Trombone (built 2012)
    Boosey & Hawkes Imperial Eb tuba (built 1958)
    Kanstul 33-T lBBb tuba (built 2010)

What dealer are you going through? This may come in handy at the end of the summer when I've work X amount of jobs and sold\ traded in the Sovereign, whether I buy an Adams or not.

Welcome to GroupieLand! I had the same feeling about the E2; but I can see where a Willson player might like it, because it leans more in that direction.

What finish type did you go for? It took me a looooong time to decide on the one I got. I'm liking it now that I have it, but it was such a big change that I couldn't feel sure ahead of time.
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

I really had no preference on the finish, except that bright silver plate is very attractive (especially when new) but that it requires polishing (as we've noted on a different thread) and can lead to BHS.

So my wife picked out the satin lacquered look. And I requested that the entire SS bell (also at 0.6mm as I found anything thinner to be, well, too thin) be polished, not just the interior. Hardwood finger button inlays (rosewood or grenadilla), no trigger, and a brace on the main tuning slide. Oh, and a grime gutter.

You did well with your own GG, Dave, but since Adams makes 'em anyway...

Miel Adams told me verbally at TMEA that he'd make sure that TWO tuning slides were made free of charge. I could then play-test and select the one I like after evaluation. I like the strength that the extra brace gives, and understand there is a cost to responsiveness, but I don't think it'll be a huge difference. I like having a horn that can absorb a bump or two.
    Last edited by Eupher6; 03-05-2013 at 12:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by DaTweeka View Post
    What dealer are you going through? This may come in handy at the end of the summer when I've work X amount of jobs and sold\ traded in the Sovereign, whether I buy an Adams or not.
    I'm not sure I'm at liberty to say at the moment. It's a business arrangement that is brand-spanking new, is not indicated anywhere on the Adams site (yet) and while I'm delighted with working with these particular folks (due to a long-term musical relationship), I just don't feel comfortable in saying right now. By all means, if I get the green light to announce it, I'll do so.

6. I won't ask for a number, but did you feel that the trade-in deal for your Sterling was better than if you sold the horn yourself?

Quote Originally Posted by coolguy684 View Post
    I won't ask for a number, but did you feel that the trade-in deal for your Sterling was better than if you sold the horn yourself?
    Well, I think I got the best deal I could get. I checked with Jeff Rideout just today and right now the Virtuoso Model II (heavy red brass) is going for $6,875. I think there's no doubt that if I were to sell it privately I'd get more for it, but I'm not unhappy with what I'm getting.

I've been down the road of selling horns and having them on consignment and this and that. My heart's not in it this time, so I'll take a bit of a price hit for the privilege of avoiding the hassles of selling it myself.

As Mrs E tells me, with a knowing glance, "This is your LAST euphonium. Right?" lol!

Hey, I'm with you - I'll lose some money to avoid the hassle of selling something myself. And it REALLY IS your last euph, right?
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

Quote Originally Posted by Eupher6 View Post
    *snip*

As Mrs E tells me, with a knowing glance, "This is your LAST euphonium. Right?" lol!
    Uh-huh. Pull the other leg.

I gotta say, when I approached my wife about spending $900 and change on the Jinbao, she was very supportive. And if we had 10 large in disposable o-kane floating around, I don't think she'd begrudge me an Adams.

Eupher, I don't envy you the wait at all. It's gonna be like being pregnant

Pics when it comes in, then a review after a couple months.
    David Bjornstad

1923 Conn New Wonder 86I, Bach 6 1/2 AL
    2018 Wessex EP100 Dolce, Denis Wick 4ABL
    2013 Jinbao JBEP-1111L, Denis Wick 4AM
    2015 Jinbao JBBR-1240, Denis Wick clone mouthpiece of unknown designation
    Cullman (AL) Community Band (Euph Section Leader)
    Brass Band of Huntsville (2nd Bari)

Quote Originally Posted by Eupher6 View Post
    Well, I think I got the best deal I could get. I checked with Jeff Rideout just today and right now the Virtuoso Model II (heavy red brass) is going for $6,875. I think there's no doubt that if I were to sell it privately I'd get more for it, but I'm not unhappy with what I'm getting.

I've been down the road of selling horns and having them on consignment and this and that. My heart's not in it this time, so I'll take a bit of a price hit for the privilege of avoiding the hassles of selling it myself.

I'm quoting myself only because I erred when I quoted the Sterling model number above. Or, actually, I quoted the correct model number and price - I erred because I don't have the Model II. I have the Model IV - trigger, gold plated bling, etc. And while it's not worth it to call Jeff Rideout and get the current price on the Model IV, I can assume that the $6,875 price is low for a new Model IV.

That makes the deal I got just a little less than I had thought, but the hassle factor for me today is still pretty weighty.

So yeah, I'm still pretty enthused about the whole deal.

But I wouldn't be quite as enthused about the "preggo" angle. Holy moly, I'm too damned old and mean to be thinking about crib crappers, diapers, and burping.

I will lend a review to the extent that I can, but I'll tell you guys up front -- I ain't no big soloist type. I just want a horn that eliminates all vestiges of excuses from my playing.

One review on the Adams by Mr. Cochrane (? - I hope I have that name correct) that reached up and slapped me alongside the head -- with the Adams, less is more.

Very, very sage advice.

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast