Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: Okay - Call me an Adams Groupie...

Dr,

I've had the instrument since June and by no means hope I was indicating dissatisfaction - on the contrary the Adams has solved so many problems that I had that I can deal with the small amount of pitch issues I am experiencing but I am confident I can and will overcome them!
    Adams E3 0.6 with SS Bell
    K&G 3.5D
    ---------------------------------
    Founder and Solo Euphonium
    San Francisco Brass Band

I would love to try an Adams, and am interested in opinions about the configuration of the E.1 currently listed on eBay: http://www.ebay.com/itm/290684465509...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
    Last edited by ExArmyEupher; 12-17-2013 at 11:13 PM.
    Thanks.
    Best Regards,
    Don Brown
    -------------------------
    Besson BE2052S Prestige, SM3X
    Adams E1 0.60 SS Bell, SM3X
    Hirsbrunner HBS 479 black nickel plated, SM3X
    Bach Stradivarius 42B0 F Attachment 'bone, SM4AL
    Yamaa YBL613 F/Gb Bass 'bone, DW HT1AL
    Besson 10-10 F Attachment 'bone (1968), SM4AL
    Conn 50H Director F Attachment Tenor 'bone (1970), SM4BS
    Blue pBone just for fun!
    Indian bugle
    Shofar

Quote Originally Posted by daniel76309 View Post
    I have a question for you, and maybe others who have experience with similar instruments could join in also...

I have a 1971 Besson, and haven't played anything else except for beginner horns decades ago. It still plays great, and I get lots of compliments about the tone, etc. I will never sell it, but am sort of intrigued by the prospect of the newer instruments. Since you went from a 1968 Besson to a new Prestige, I was just wondering if you found a "night and day" difference/improvement going to the Prestige, i.e. other than being "new" do you feel that it is intrinsically "better" by design?
    Not "night and day," but the "Besson sound" is still there. I find it more responsive in the high range. More important, however, to my decision was the larger shank size, larger bore overall, and the larger bell. These were the decision factors for me, and I am glad I made the change. Had I the ability to purchase the newer horn and keep the 1968 horn I would still be playing both. I like the 68 very well for the large ensemble setting in military bands and the large wind ensemble. I like the Prestige for the solo and small ensemble setting, though I have not had much oportunity for the latter. As with much similar advice on this forum, the decision should ultimately come down to what works and sounds best to you.
    Thanks.
    Best Regards,
    Don Brown
    Blue pBone just for fun!
    Indian bugle
    Shofar

Quote Originally Posted by ExArmyEupher View Post
    I would love to try an Adams, and am interested in opinions about the configuration of the E.1 currently listed on eBay: http://www.ebay.com/itm/290684465509...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
    Don, at Dave's suggestion, let me offer my own review of the E1. I've been playing on this horn for not quite two months and I think it's the cat's meow:

http://www.euphiola.net/
    U.S. Army, Retired (built mid-1950s)
    Adams E2 Euph (built 2017)
    Boosey & Co. Imperial Euph (built 1941)
    Edwards B454 Bass Trombone (built 2012)
    Boosey & Hawkes Imperial Eb tuba (built 1958)
    Kanstul 33-T lBBb tuba (built 2010)

5. Thanks to all for additional insights and information. I really shouldn't read these things...it gives me too many ideas.

A couple of additional thoughts - for some odd reason, the 4th valve slide on the Adams actually does collect water. I have to dump it a couple of times per practice session, which isn't nearly as much as the main tuning slide or the 2nd valve, but I have never had a horn that would accumulate water in the 4th valve slide until now. I often found it necessary to dump water out of the bell, meaning some serious blowing was going on, but never -- until the Adams -- did I actually have to dump water out of the 4th valve slide. And believe me, I've played a lot of different horns over the years.

Secondly, I requested a braced main tuning slide when I ordered the Adams, along with the water catcher.. Adams does not normally build a horn that way, but as I'm a bit of a hugger, I wanted the extra stability of a braced main tuning slide. Miel Adams provided that separately, along with the valve buttons with hardwood insert. I notice no difference in response.

Lastly, 4th space G in the bass clef is habitually sharp, though not nearly as bad as the same note was on my particular Sterling Virtuoso (traded in on the Adams). That note can be controlled with ease whether by lipping it down or fingering 3rd valve, so I don't see a problem there.
    Last edited by Eupher6; 12-26-2013 at 09:40 AM.
    U.S. Army, Retired (built mid-1950s)
    Adams E2 Euph (built 2017)
    Boosey & Co. Imperial Euph (built 1941)
    Edwards B454 Bass Trombone (built 2012)
    Boosey & Hawkes Imperial Eb tuba (built 1958)
    Kanstul 33-T lBBb tuba (built 2010)

Quote Originally Posted by Eupher6 View Post
    A couple of additional thoughts - for some odd reason, the 4th valve slide on the Adams actually does collect water. I have to dump it a couple of times per practice session, which isn't nearly as much as the main tuning slide or the 2nd valve, but I have never had a horn that would accumulate water in the 4th valve slide until now. I often found it necessary to dump water out of the bell, meaning some serious blowing was going on, but never -- until the Adams -- did I actually have to dump water out of the 4th valve slide. And believe me, I've played a lot of different horns over the years.

*snip*
    FWIW, I've made it a habit to dump the 4th-valve slide on my Jinbao after every session, and there's usually water in it, sometimes quite a bit. I've already posted about water in the bottom bow.
    David Bjornstad

1923 Conn New Wonder 86I, Bach 6 1/2 AL
    2018 Wessex EP100 Dolce, Denis Wick 4ABL
    2013 Jinbao JBEP-1111L, Denis Wick 4AM
    2015 Jinbao JBBR-1240, Denis Wick clone mouthpiece of unknown designation
    Cullman (AL) Community Band (Euph Section Leader)
    Brass Band of Huntsville (2nd Bari)

Well, I am responding to the thread title. I am not sure what the duties of a groupie are, but I feel compelled to report very positive comments to my sound after having played my new E1 0.6 SS bell for a month and a half in rehearsal, concert, and solo contexts. I am very pleased with my purchase.

I am still tinkering with the adjustable receiver to find my preference, but I am pretty impressed with the effect such a micro-adjustment can have.

As others have noted, the intonation overall is amazing compared to any other euphonium I have played. The aforementioned 3rd valve G above the staff is the only notable exception, and even that is minor to me since I have been lipping notes one way or the other for over 52 years.

The aspect of this instrument that sealed my decision to buy was the beautiful singing quality I get from it throughout the middle range into the high range through F above high Bb.

It is a beautiful instrument, much lighter than my Prestige 2052, and very responsive with good slotting in all ranges. I am using both the SM3X and the SM4X, and I am leaning toward the SM4X for solo work especially in the upper range.
    Thanks.
    Best Regards,
    Don Brown
    Blue pBone just for fun!