Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Okay - Call me an Adams Groupie...

Quote Originally Posted by davewerden View Post
    Hey, I'm with you - I'll lose some money to avoid the hassle of selling something myself. And it REALLY IS your last euph, right?
    If you held a gun to my head while asking that question, I'd probably lie.
    U.S. Army, Retired (built mid-1950s)
    Adams E2 Euph (built 2017)
    Boosey & Co. Imperial Euph (built 1941)
    Edwards B454 Bass Trombone (built 2012)
    Boosey & Hawkes Imperial Eb tuba (built 1958)
    Kanstul 33-T lBBb tuba (built 2010)

Okay, I checked with my dealer and, for reasons that he's not entirely clear on either, he's asked me to stay mum in identifying him. He's sort of on the fringes of things and he's small, so there might be some sensitivities there that are germane.

BUT, I have put the order in for the following:

E1 (305mm bell)
    0.6mm thickness
    Sterling Silver bell, polished (not matte, as I've seen in just about all examples of Adams' SS bells).
    Floating lead pipe (this might be standard - I just don't remember and I can't tell from photos I've seen)
    Bow caps in the normal places - bottom branch, top branch, tuning slides and ferrules, bright polished finish and lacquered
    *Main tuning slide - single brace with no trigger
    Bottom valve caps - medium weight with water catcher
    Finger buttons - dark hardwood inlays (rosewood or grenadilla)

*Regarding the brace on the tuning slide - Miel Adams promised me verbally at TMEA that he would see to it that TWO tuning slides would be provided with the horn at no additional cost. The first tuning slide would be unbraced, which is their normal setup. The second would have a brace in the usual spot like you'd see on a Prestige, for example. I want a single brace on that tuning slide, even at the cost of a little response. Miel offered both tuning slides so that I could try them both out. I'll select the one that I prefer and then return the other.

Price (less duty and shipping): $7,150

Note on duty: Assignment of duty is based on a couple of factors - first, the actual schedule of fees is determined by Congress and published in the Harmonised Tariff Schedule (HTS). In the HTS, the code for brass musical instruments is 9205.10.00.80, which indicates the value of this instrument exceeds $10. Second, based on my call to the office to which the horn would be imported (in this case in Texas), the agent on the phone told me the assigned duty would be 2.9% of the value.

The best information I was able to get prior to doing the research online (you can start with the US International Trade Commission's web site) was a fluctuating percentage of anywhere between 3-6%. The information I got directly from the agent assessing the duty narrows that down a bit. But, there may be more hidden fees/bribes/kickbacks I'm not aware of.

Shipping is also an issue. Depending on the number of horns being shipped (there will be two in my shipment, one of which is mine), the cost for these two horns will be about $414 (based on $1 = 0.77 Euros), so my share of the shipping charges is $212.

So total cost of the horn, including duty, shipping, and the Marcus Bonna case, should be real close to $7,570.

Factor in the sale price of my Sterling and this is a deal that I am very happy with. Take a look at the price for the Adams on the Tuba Exchange web site and you'll see quite a difference.

http://www.tubaexchange.com/shop-by-...prod=Euphonium

Last edited by Eupher6; 03-07-2013 at 12:33 PM. Reason: correct the oops (naw, it ain't stainless steel)

Stainless Steel bell?? That would be crazy! You meant Sterling Silver, right?

I'm jealous and I've never even played an Adams, congrats!
    Adams E3 0.6 with SS Bell
    K&G 3.5D
    ---------------------------------
    Founder and Solo Euphonium
    San Francisco Brass Band

Quote Originally Posted by Eupher6 View Post
    So total cost of the horn, including duty, shipping, and the Marcus Bonna case, should be real close to $7,570.

I'm sure we are all anxious to know the dealer's name when you are free to announce it! (But I certainly would not want you to let the cat out of the bag before the sensitivities are resolved.)

I'm anxious to see the appearance of the configuration you specified. Should be pretty!
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

Quote Originally Posted by JakeGuilbo View Post
    Stainless Steel bell?? That would be crazy! You meant Sterling Silver, right?

I'm jealous and I've never even played an Adams, congrats!
    yes, of course! Sterling Silver. (D'oh! Must have my Zwilling knives on the brain!)

Is that what Adams will charge the instrument shop, i.e. the wholesale price?

Or is that roughly his final retail price to you?

Last edited by JTJ; 03-07-2013 at 01:38 PM.

7. Quote Originally Posted by Eupher6 View Post

Based on the shipping and fees that I paid for mine it may actually be closer to $7800-7900. However I had mine shipped directly to me from Adams, so it may be less. Congrats on your purchase!
    Martin Cochran
    Adams Performing Artist
    mceuph75@gmail.com

Quote Originally Posted by cochranme View Post
    Based on the shipping and fees that I paid for mine it may actually be closer to $7800-7900. However I had mine shipped directly to me from Adams, so it may be less. Congrats on your purchase!
    Does your documentation say anything about the customs/duty costs? I'm intrigued by that, only because like anything associated with the government, getting a straight answer to a relatively simple question is nigh on impossible to get.

Quote Originally Posted by JTJ View Post

Is that what Adams will charge the instrument shop, i.e. the wholesale price?

Or is that roughly his final retail price to you?

The retail price that I'm being charged is $7,150. The difference is the calculated customs and shipping costs, which are close estimates right now, based on available information.

One of the things I was told about this murky "customs" underworld thing is that the actual duty charged varies and depends on the actual customs inspector. The guy I talked to on the phone told me 2.9% of the sale value.

What Adams is charging my dealer is a metric I don't know -- there is no question he's marking the horn up, but as we've known each other for more than 30 years, the markup isn't extreme.

I think you are getting a great deal, Eupher6. Thanks for the clarification.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast