X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • LouieD
    • Jul 2012

New horn, new mp?

So im most likely getting an Adams in a few months (waiting for it to get in stock) and I currently play on a yep-321 using a schilke 51. I have a schilke 5051 and 51D in large bore which would work for the Adams obviously but my question is this:

Should I purchase something like the 4AL when I get the new horn and get used to both at the same time, or just use what I have and then switch after I've bonded and settled with the horn?

Thoughts?
    Mack Euph
    Warburton Demondre MP
  • DaTweeka
    • Jun 2012

When I moved up from a Yamaha 321 to a Besson Sovereign, I started playing around with mouthpieces to adjust to the larger bore size. You could stick with the 51D if you wanted to, but when I was trying out mouthpieces, I found it to be really... muddy. The tone was pretty bad, the cup felt a little tight, and I kinda wanted to remove myself from everything that the Yamaha was, having found myself a big boy horn. So, I started with a 2AL (it's all I had, for a while) then a 4AL (came with the horn), then I got myself a BB1, then a heavyweight GW Kadja in SS, then a Gail Robertson model, and then a GW Kadja in titanium. I recently traded some pieces out for an SM3.5 and a GW Carbonaria. Came back to the GW Kadja. So, in relation to the 51D, a more open throat, a funnel cup, and a sharper rim. It's all about what works for you, as has been attested many many times throughout the forums. There are some general rules you can follow about mouthpiece choice, but it all comes down to what you want out of the horn and how your chops respond to the different parameters. Now, you could go out and blow a whole bunch of cash trying every mouthpiece under the sun (which, judging by your horn choice, you might just be able to do) or you could make some educated guesses, and work off of those. OR, you could just stick with the mouthpiece you've got, work with the Adams for a while, and then figure out where you want to go form there. Either way could work, but at some point or another, you're probably gonna end up spending some money (preferably on a few of the pieces I've got just sitting on my cabinet right now). Out of curiosity, what model of Adams are you planning on getting?
    Last edited by DaTweeka; 03-02-2013, 10:40 PM.

Comment

• LouieD
      • Jul 2012

Silver plated .6 with a SS bell and the wood buttons. I played on a YEP 642 for a year while I was at another college, and I played the schilke 50 because the 51D was a bit too large. So I guess Ill start with that as a transition since its close to what I play now just in a large bore and then see if the 51D will be better later
      Mack Euph
      Warburton Demondre MP

Comment

• RickF
        • Jan 2006

Since you said "you played on a Schilke 50 for awhile because the 51D was a bit too large', then switching to a Wick 4AL is going to take you some time to get used to. I think I would try getting used to the new horn first, then maybe try other mpcs.

My 2 cents worth.
        Rick Floyd
        Miraphone 5050 - Warburton BJ / RF mpc

"Always play with a good tone, never louder than lovely, never softer than supported." - author unknown.
        Symphonic Band of the Palm Beaches

El Cumbanchero (Raphael Hernandez, arr. Naohiro Iwai)
        The Cowboys (John Williams, arr. James Curnow)
        Festive Overture(Dmitri Shostakovich)

Comment

• davewerden
          Administrator
          • Nov 2005

Please add my 2 cents to Rick's 2 cents. If you go for both at once it could confuse whether it's the mp or horn giving you good or bad results.
          Dave Werden (ASCAP)
          Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
          Adams Artist (Adams E3)
          Alliance Mouthpiece DC3, Wick 4AL, Wick 4ABL
          YouTube: dwerden
          Facebook: davewerden
          Twitter: davewerden
          Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

Comment

• LouieD
            • Jul 2012

Thanks guys, your expertise is always greatly appreciated