Thread: Morceau Symphonique Con Anima

Morceau Symphonique Con Anima

So I'm playing Morceau Symphonique for S&E this year and at the con amima I want to go up to about 85-90 bpm, because that seems to be about the speed Dave Werden takes it in his recording on YouTube, but people keep telling me that's too fast. So what are some of your opinions on how fast to take that part?

I'm interested to hear other opinions on this. I liked it that fast, especially for general-public performances, but it certainly does not NEED to be that fast.
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

I certainly don't think that is too fast. I think the most important thing to keep in mind is your stylistic approach. Big enough deviations aren't always well-received, most especially in audition and solo contest situations.

I've never played it, but I have the music, so I pulled up the video and followed along (and now I want to learn it :-P ). It doesn't sound excessively fast to me, but I'm not an adjudicator, so my opinion doesn't count for much. In a context of personal practice or public performance, I don't think Dave's tempo is out of line; go for it. But if you're getting it from multiple sources that it's too fast, and you're going to be judged on how you play, then perhaps you should take uieuph's advice into consideration.
    Last edited by DaveBj; 03-10-2013 at 09:14 AM.
    David Bjornstad

1923 Conn New Wonder 86I, Bach 6 1/2 AL
    2018 Wessex EP100 Dolce, Denis Wick 4ABL
    2013 Jinbao JBEP-1111L, Denis Wick 4AM
    2015 Jinbao JBBR-1240, Denis Wick clone mouthpiece of unknown designation
    Cullman (AL) Community Band (Euph Section Leader)
    Brass Band of Huntsville (2nd Bari)

I don't know if I am too late on this, but I just performed this for my collegiate jury about 2 weeks ago.

I took the Con Anima at about a 75-80 and I felt it was a little on the slow side.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tNAR0VxS0h4) - My performance if you are interested in another example.

The key is to not play the Allegro Sustenudo too slow. (I played at a 65) The Con Anima should be comfortably faster, but not blazing fast. (80-90 should be perfect) But whatever you take it at, remember you have those runs in 22 and 25 that are notorious for being taken too slow.

Good Luck! It really is a fun piece to play.

I played it this semester for my jury, too. For me, it was comfortable at that speed, too. Granted, I also took the first Allegro Moderato at about 120, and the last Con Fuoco at about 130, accelerating to the end. My wind ensemble teacher showed me a recording where the trombonist took the initial Allegro Moderato at 150. I think it mostly depends on how much contrast you show between the different sections. Contrasting the slow from the fast seems to make the piece really pop.