Thread: B&H Sovereign Euph vs B&H Imperial Euph (both around 1980)

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
  1. B&H Sovereign Euph vs B&H Imperial Euph (both around 1980)

If the Imperial was large shank, is the only difference that one has a bell of 12 inches, and the other has a bell of 11 inches? How about in terms of playing feel? I am asking because I was considering downgrading from a B&H Sovereign to an Imperial of the same time, and saving the money.

The Sovereign 967 had two main changes from the New Standard / Imperial. One was the 12" bell. The other was the leadpipe. The Sov. leadpipe allowed a larger sound, but was a bit more difficult to control (IMHO). But if you are talking about the 968, that had a similar leadpipe to the NS/Imp and the smaller bell as well.

The other difference with the Sovereign line, at least during the first few years, is that it was assembled by the more experienced technicians at B&H. That was what I learned visiting the factory in 1980 when I was a fairly new Besson Artist.
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

I'm a proud owner of a large shank Imperial - and currently not think about upgrading. Like the Sovereign the Imperial has some sharp 6th partials (the sharpest on my is the E flat), which is lippable. I use alternativ fingerings only when necessary (if there is a need for an accurate flat tuning, for example the F in D flate major). The sound is very beautiful, for my taste "warm and dark". Though, when playing with strings I prefer the smaller sounding Yam 321 for better blending.
    Jochen

Boosey&Hawkes Imperial with SM4(U-X),
    YEP-321 with DW 4AY ...
    ... and my cello

4. Question, is the new Buffet Prestige's leadpipe any different from the old B&H Imperials and Sovs? I'm wondering because if I'm gonna get a medium to large shank conversion, might as well get a Prestige receiver which has the nice engraving on it. The receivers all cost around the same at Dawkes.

5. Yes, the Prestige receiver and leadpipe are different from all generations of large shank Sovereigns. Keep in mind that the 1st gen "Round Stamp" and 2nd gen Sovereigns had a leadpipe soldered to the bell. The 3rd gen 967GS had a floating leadpipe supported at the receiver and the valve block only. The current 967 is similar to the 967GS in this respect. That being said, here is a comparison with the Prestige leadpipe:

First, it is designed to "float" rather than being soldered to the bell. Second, compared with a new 967 or the older 967GS, the Prestige floating leadpipe has a support stanchion midway between the receiver and valve block. Third, the Prestige leadpipe does not wrap as far around the bell as the 967/968 leadpipe, thus positioning the horn and valveblock more nearly perpendicular to your body. This assists keeping your right elbow elevated and your wrist straighter. Finally, the taper and the bend on the leadpipe is a bit different between the 2052 and 967 and the 2051 and 968. I know that the 2052/2051 are supposed to have slightly different tapers compared with each other. I am certain the 2052 and 967 are a bit different.

Doug
    Adams E3 0.60 Sterling bell - Prototype top sprung valves
    Concord Band
    Winchendon Winds
    Townsend Military Band

6. Quote Originally Posted by daruby View Post
    Yes, the Prestige receiver and leadpipe are different from all generations of large shank Sovereigns. Keep in mind that the 1st gen "Round Stamp" and 2nd gen Sovereigns had a leadpipe soldered to the bell. The 3rd gen 967GS had a floating leadpipe supported at the receiver and the valve block only. The current 967 is similar to the 967GS in this respect. That being said, here is a comparison with the Prestige leadpipe:

First, it is designed to "float" rather than being soldered to the bell. Second, compared with a new 967 or the older 967GS, the Prestige floating leadpipe has a support stanchion midway between the receiver and valve block. Third, the Prestige leadpipe does not wrap as far around the bell as the 967/968 leadpipe, thus positioning the horn and valveblock more nearly perpendicular to your body. This assists keeping your right elbow elevated and your wrist straighter. Finally, the taper and the bend on the leadpipe is a bit different between the 2052 and 967 and the 2051 and 968. I know that the 2052/2051 are supposed to have slightly different tapers compared with each other. I am certain the 2052 and 967 are a bit different.

Doug
    But would the receivers be interchangeable? Maybe I should just play it safe and get an old Sovereign receiver, nevermind the engraving.