Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Wanted - Conn 24I Connstellation

1. Wanted - Conn 24I Connstellation

I recently found that my school has an older Holton bell-front 3 valve Euphonium. I played it a bit and REALLY liked the sound which brought me back to the marvelous old Conn 4 valve Connstellation (Model 24I) that I played in the mid-60's. I'd LOVE to get my hands on one of these old horns in good shape and would consider a trade and/or for my nice 1942 5 valve Holton double Euph. (which is in near immaculate condition, though of dubious intonation!)

Doug

P.S. I have checked eBay for years and only have seen the 3 valve Artists and/or short action horns. The Connstellation was a larger (med shank) bore and had a nice spring loaded tuning slide for help with intonation.
    Adams E3 0.60 Sterling bell - Prototype top sprung valves
    Concord Band
    Winchendon Winds
    Townsend Military Band

2. Wanted - Conn 24I Connstellation

Not quite the one, but close

http://cgi.ebay.com/Conn-5I-Eu...3QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Keep you hopes up. I have seen them on ebay, but they are rare.

Your ebay search should just be Conn. Definately do not use the model #.

Kevin

3. Wanted - Conn 24I Connstellation

Kevin,

Thanks. I saw that one. Not a Connstellation. It is a smaller bore leadpipe (Tenor instead of Medium) and looks to me to be based on a King 2268 shape rather than a Conn. By the way...I have never seen a 5i model number in any Conn directory.

Doug

P.S. I do search for bot "Conn Baritone" and Copnn Euphonium" on e-bay
    Concord Band
    Winchendon Winds
    Townsend Military Band

4. Wanted - Conn 24I Connstellation

Sorry, I just assume the seller knows something about the horn. I guess it could be a 4 valve King?
    I just assumed it was a 25I!
    The main tuning adjuster is not correct for a 25I! Maybe this is a Frankenhorn?

5. Wanted - Conn 24I Connstellation

I know of a little kids camp that has a 4 valve Conn horn just sitting around (locked up).

You could contact them at

Blue Lake Fine Arts Camp (Home of the Falcone Festival)
    300 East Crystal Lake Rd.
    Twin Lake, MI 49457

I think it may even have been played by some famous guy? (Leonard Falcone)

6. Wanted - Conn 24I Connstellation

I spent a week last summer at the camp. I did the Trombone/Euphonium ensemble camp with Earle Louder and then the Adult Concert Band. I had a great time!

If they had Mr. Falcone's horn, I could not believe that it would be fopr sale...

Doug
    Concord Band
    Winchendon Winds
    Townsend Military Band

7. Wanted - Conn 24I Connstellation

Sorry my humor is dry today. I knew you were there and thought you had probably noticed.

It used to be enshrined in a glass wall inset.

But that was over 15 years ago. I guess the building could even be gone. How time flys.

Maybe I can get to Falcone Festival this year and get a picture of it?

You wouldnt want it, I dont think its a connstellation?

8. Wanted - Conn 24I Connstellation

Actually his horn is the prededessor to the Connstellation. It was a 4 valve 22I Artist which is every bit as nice, just a little older...They were produced from about 1940-48 and again from 1958 till around 1960 when the 24I Connstellation was intoduced.

Doug

P.S. and thanks for the humor.....!
    Concord Band
    Winchendon Winds
    Townsend Military Band

Wanted - Conn 24I Connstellation

Could it be a 23I? This is listed as having a #5 bore. The 23I has, for Conns of that period, an unusual 4th valve layout. Unfortunately the serial number of the ebay horn places it between 1951 & 1952, but the 23I was probably introduced in 1956 or 1957. It was a short-lived model.

The site, "The Conn Loyalist", has lots of info on Conn instruments:

http://www.xs4all.nl/~cderksen/index.html
    Carroll Arbogast
    Piano Technician
    CMA Piano Care

10. Wanted - Conn 24I Connstellation

Maybe there was a 5I? The valve layout is not symulat to any Conn (Checked Conn Loyalist and Horn-u-copia.net)

I have seen York Euphoniums with tall 1st valve slides, but most every other front valve horn has most of the 1st valve tubing below the valve block.

Expermental model?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast