Thread: Eupher double

1. Eupher double

I'm primarily a euph player, but I want to incorporate tuba playing for more breathing work, as well as building my instrumental repitoire. Heres my question, what would agods mouthpiece be for an older musician who wants to get started? I'm in the process of finding out what brand tuba my current community college has that I could play, but any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Ty!

Sort of fits my own situation back in 2009 when I started playing tuba.

Basically I started playing (and continue to play) on a Arnold Jacobs "Canadian Brass" mouthpiece that I bought from Lee Stofer. I grew to like this mouthpiece, but really have no basis of comparison with others.

This one is similar to what I bought:

http://www.canadianbrassstore.com/ar...ba-mouthpiece/

I'd say for a doubler like you and me, just about any medium-sized basic mouthpiece would be fine to start with and if the mood strikes you to try out others, well, there's that option.

I'm fine with the Jake that I have.
    U.S. Army, Retired (built mid-1950s)
    Adams E2 Euph (built 2017)
    Boosey & Co. Imperial Euph (built 1941)
    Edwards B454 Bass Trombone (built 2012)
    Boosey & Hawkes Imperial Eb tuba (built 1958)
    Kanstul 33-T lBBb tuba (built 2010)

I'm primarily a tuba player, but I play the euph a lot as well. Here's my recommendation for a few things to try. In general you can get these mouthpieces on a "try and buy" arrangement from various places that may cost you a bit on shipping/restocking if you return them. But it's worth the cost to do the trials.

I have two recommendations that are my go-to mouthpieces for tuba after more than 20 years, and may be of particular interest to you if you're primarily a euph player:
    1. Schilke 66. This is a medium size Helleberg (funnel) shaped mouthpiece that I've used on both Eb and BBb horns. For me it is the BEST Helleberg style mouthpiece.
    2. Miraphone TU-17. This is the mouthpiece I've settled on since returning to tuba playing. It can be thought of as the German-style (i.e., bowl instead of funnel) moral equivalent of the Schilke 66. It is the mouthpiece I use now on my BBb. I could use the Schilke 66, but I get better articulation ON MY HORN from the TU-17. On the other hand, the Schilke 66 feels better and seems better above the staff. It's always a compromise one way or another.

Neither of these is cheap. And I have very specific tastes in terms of the mouthpiece diameter and rim size. For tuba, I tend to prefer smaller mouthpieces (30 mm or about 1.25" or so diameter). For euphs I tend to prefer larger mouthpieces (27-30mm or larger). You need to pick a mouthpiece that is good for you, and this depends very much on your mouth size.

If you want to try some inexpensive alternatives, I highly recommend the Kelly mouthpieces. You can get one for $30 or less. To start with, I recommend trying the 25 or the 18. I've never liked the 24AW by any manufacturer.

I'd suggest trying some of these, picking one to start with (play on it six months or a year), and then based on what you've learned, evaluate others. You almost can't lose with the Kellys to start with. Look on Ebay for the best price and shipping.
    Gary Merrill
    Wessex EEb Bass tuba (DW 3XL or 2XL)
    Mack Brass Compensating Euph (DE N106, Euph J, J9 euph)
    Amati Oval Euph (DE 104, Euph J, J6 euph)
    1924 Buescher 3-valve Eb tuba (with std US receiver), Kelly 25
    Schiller American Heritage 7B clone bass trombone (DE LB K/K10/112/14 Lexan, Brass Ark MV50R)
    1947 Olds "Standard" trombone (Olds #3)

I picked up Tuba from Euphonium like you because our marching band needed a sousaphone. I started on a Bach 18, but switched to a CONN Helleberg. The recommendation of trying different sizes of the Kelly mouthpieces is a good one.