Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: The euphonium slouch

Hi Daniel,

I like your 'bigfoot door prtector'. Have you recv'd your patent yet?

Years ago when I started using that modified noodle, another guy in the band made one but a little differently. He cut a smaller wedge out of the swim noodle and then cut some of the center out to the size of his bottom bow and just slid it over his bottom bow. It stayed pretty much in place. He didn't cover it in black tape, so it was blue. But if you wanted it black, you could cover it with a black sock and then slide it on. This would protect the horn's finish too... but maybe slide around more. Just a possibility. Here are a couple of pictures...

cut wedge with serrated knife or electric knife

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_2095.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	75.0 KB 
ID:	1726

cover noodle (after cut) with black sock

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	flowers-010.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	27.3 KB 
ID:	1727

"necessity is the mother of invention" - author unknown
    Last edited by RickF; 02-03-2013 at 10:00 AM.
    Rick Floyd
    Miraphone 5050 - Warburton BJ / RF mpc
    YEP-641S (recently sold)
    Doug Elliott - 102 rim; I-cup; I-9 shank

"Always play with a good tone, never louder than lovely, never softer than supported." - author unknown.
    Symphonic Band of the Palm Beaches
    El Cumbanchero (Raphael Hernandez, arr. Naohiro Iwai)
    Chorale and Shaker Dance
    (John Zdechlik)

2. Thanks--no patent (yet).

I like the concept above, but I don't think that would be quite enough "lift" for me. I am going to see if just resting the horn on a bigger towel might enough--that would be the simple solution. But if not, I was thinking about making a padded base that would stay with the horn, using expanding insulation foam inside of an upholstered outer shell. It could be made to fit the bottom bow fairly well and could be made to pretty much whatever shape I want.

More euphoniums should be made with adjustable leadpipes.

I don't know if this was said yet, but I (along with most of my studio at CMU) take fleece and fold it to the size and height we want it, then wrap it in the black non-slip shower/rug mat material you can get in a roll at the dollar store and sew it around the edges. has always worked great for me, especially seeing as I have tendonitus and scoliosis!
    By using the non slip material it makes it easy to adjust where you hold the horn without it slipping off of the pillow. Mine I made large enough so that I could set it in the middle of my lap and not to one side. hope you find a solution that works for you! =]
    Keera Allen
    Senior, Central Michigan University
    Music Education: Euphonium, specializing in baritone
    Willson 2950TA Euphonium
    Yamaha YBH 621 Baritone
    Nirschl I-400SP Baritone

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234