Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Starting over, never too late !

1. Quote Originally Posted by Euphman View Post
    There's something that bothers me though : When playing staccato, i found my cheeks to puff a little bit on each note and i wonder wheter it is a problem or not...
    I'm hardly able to play staccato without this particularity. Des anyone has an advice about that ?
    If it sounds good and doesn't stop you playing with precision and control, then keep doing it.

Quote Originally Posted by superted View Post
    If it sounds good and doesn't stop you playing with precision and control, then keep doing it.
    I agree with that as the ultimate test. But while you are learning & developing it is usually wise to look at the "right" way to do thing (whatever that is!). Many brass experts advise against puffing the cheeks, so that is something I would try to control through gentle practice modifications. Perhaps try a staccato at a softer volume and see if that helps. Or try a semi-staccato, where you are playing a series of 1/8 notes separated by 1/8 rests, but not otherwise shortened (in other words, full 1/8 notes). Does the puffing lessen then? And watch your cheeks when playing a series of articulated 1/2 notes; do they puff with each attack? Often a staccato will make obvious something that is happening at other times.
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

I've been taught that good articulation employs a very even, steady airstream. "Puffing" suggests that the air is either backing up or being pushed a bit. A little backing up is probably ok, but pushing (or puffing) could be a problem and might limit your speed.

Caveat Emptor: I am a "fair to decent" player, but not qualified to teach!

Just for fun, check out this video. It's "William Tell" from the movie "Brass Off!" Around 1:07 there is a cornet solo, playing what was a violin part. It's hard to know if he is lip-syncing just for the movie, but I have seen this guy do this live and he looks just the same. Talk about "no wasted movement"!

That's a very nice 23-second demonstration of efficient playing.
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

I've tried to follow Dave's advices and it appears that he's right : it's certainly a bad thing to play that way...
    I feel some air moving in my mouth and i don't think this is good. In fact, my mute is probably part of this problem. This sound seems better, rather "wet" when my cheeks move, and it's more confortable to play. But, even if i have to make an effort to keep my cheeks tights, the staccato is more accurate, although the sound seems small and worse with the mute. (i really have to use it everytime, i'm in an appartment with very close neighbors... )
    And, as carbogast suggest it, it might limit my speed in the future...
    So it seems i need to work keeping an eye on it !
    Last edited by Euphman; 02-02-2013 at 02:25 AM. Reason: spelling
    -----------------------------------------------
    Manu
    Yamaha 642 Neo
    Denis Wick SM4X

Quote Originally Posted by Euphman View Post
    i really have tu use it everytime
    Very Punny!

Corrected.
    Manu
    Yamaha 642 Neo
    Denis Wick SM4X

I'm looking for a new horn. I'm not in a hurry, but i've just found this horn on Ebay :
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Bb-Euphoni...=STRK:MEWAX:IT
    What do you think about it ?
    I know Besson has made an irregular production in terms of quality, is the 1980 a good year ? I remember to read that uncertain years are 1994 to 2007.
    Is that true ?

Thanks !
    Manu
    Yamaha 642 Neo
    Denis Wick SM4X

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12