Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Practicing in Apartments?

Question Practicing in Apartments?

I really want to be able to practice in my apartment, it would be much, much more convenient, and I know I would progress much faster. I just wanted to know if any of you have been through this. I have asked a few of the people in my apartment building, most of them were pretty cool with it, but I often have class or work until late in the evening, and I know I would have a hard time sleeping next door or above me, if there was a euphonium blasting so nearby. Any suggestions on how to dampen the sound, or mutes that I could buy that would muffle it enough for me to be able to practice without my neighbors wanting to kill me?

Do some searches on this forum and you will find previous discussions regarding standard mutes and the Yamaha Silent Brass system. Both methods have proven successful for folks in your situation.

If it were me, I would consider the psychological downside of practicing while you have a nagging feeling you are inconveniencing others. It can affect your approach & practice enough that it may prove somewhat harmful to your playing. On the other hand, practicing with a practice mute is anything but normal. If it were me, I would consider a good mute the better choice, and would work especially hard to get to a good acoustic environment as regularly as possible to "reset" my sense of tone production. That last part may be useful whether you practice with or without a mute in your apartment. It is not a good environment for euphonium tone.
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

3. Three word: the parking garage.

Quote Originally Posted by aristophanes View Post
    Three word: the parking garage.
    Ah, like singing in the bathroom! That's one place I've never tried. Good idea.
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)

Parking garage...that's an interesting idea. I've never tried that. I think people would still be upset if I did that - and not just the ones in my building, but the surrounding ones as well (open air parking lot). Not only that, but now they have a face to the tormentor (especially when I'm working on my range).

I do have the silent brass system - that's actually what got me into playing. I didn't know anything about mutes, and when I realized I could practice at home with a mute, I bought a horn again and dived right in.

Yes, a practice mute is not ideal, but it's better than nothing. On weekends, I try to play as much as possible during the day - not during "quiet hours".

I've been trying to come up with ideas where I can go to practice. My friend who also plays works in a warehouse area, and has invited me to play their once, but I don't want to practice on someone's schedule - especially when I want to practice as much as possible.
    My horn: Yamaha 642II Neo. My mouthpieces: Yamaha 51D, Yamaha 53SH, Denis Wick SM4X Ultra, Doug Elliot 104 J8

A professor gave me a great idea (which I haven't taken advantage of) in this arena.

He suggested contacting local church music directors and ask them if you can exchange practice space for a Sunday (or few Sunday) performances. Basically they would allow you to use the facilities at both of your conveniences and you would then play a lyrical piece for the congregation at some Sunday service(s).

For me this was a great idea because I don't really mind public performance (I actually enjoy ANY chance I get at public performance) and it took care of me not practicing in my apartment AND not driving 30 miles to the local College.

I did a google search for "churches" and tried to find their associated websites. I then e-mailed the music directors asking if they would be up for this and got a few enthusiastic replies. I have since been told I can practice at work "after hours" so I didn't need to follow up.

Work would be another option - conference rooms work well for practicing. Or contact your local college/community college director of bands and ask about their practice rooms and availability. Something else I just thought of, if neither of these are appealing, would be calling a local music store and ask about "renting" a practice room for an hour. If you have available funds that might be another alternative.

All of these things have worked well for me to find practice space outside of my apartment.

Quote Originally Posted by JakeGuilbo View Post
    A professor gave me a great idea (which I haven't taken advantage of) in this arena.

He suggested contacting local church music directors and ask them if you can exchange practice space for a Sunday (or few Sunday) performances. Basically they would allow you to use the facilities at both of your conveniences and you would then play a lyrical piece for the congregation at some Sunday service(s).

For me this was a great idea because I don't really mind public performance (I actually enjoy ANY chance I get at public performance) and it took care of me not practicing in my apartment AND not driving 30 miles to the local College.

I did a google search for "churches" and tried to find their associated websites. I then e-mailed the music directors asking if they would be up for this and got a few enthusiastic replies. I have since been told I can practice at work "after hours" so I didn't need to follow up.
    ABSOLUTELY! I've written about this a few times, and I should have specifically mentioned it here. Churches usually embrace guest soloists (or instrumentalists within existing church ensembles). Most churches offer a very good acoustic environment for euphoniums. I try to get to my own sanctuary to practice once a week, even though I can use my basement studio any time I want. The church acoustics help keep my perspective. When we practice in a small room we tend to withdraw somewhat and "underplay." I make sure when I'm in a big room that I'm reaching out to the corners of the room.

For church use (if you volunteer to be part of their services), here are some good resources:

Bass clef brass music for church and worship services

Treble clef brass music for church or worship services

For those who have not done so, give this a try! As mentioned above, it is good playing experience and a good contribution to your community.

I'm often asked, "How to I get over being nervous when playing in front of people?" My answer: "Play in front of people more often!"
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)

The suggestions for churches, etc are great, but I think it's important to be able to practice any time the whim strikes. Back to practice mutes, I have both a Best Brass and a Wick-Mead (the red one that fits in the bell). They both compromise the intonation too much to use for all practice. However, if you're doing technical studies like Clark or Kopprasch, it's not so bad.

Ive been told that the Schlipf practice mute has good intonation across the range.

Don Winston

I did not have a chance to try the Schlipf mute at ITEC, although I saw some there. Here is the webpage for their tuba practice mute:

http://www.tuba-mute.com/index.php?l...e=practicemute

(I don't see a euphonium practice mute listed)
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)

10. I was recently looking for trumpet music for my son and found that Lillenas (the musical arm of the Nazarene church) had a great selection both with background tracks and with piano and even mix and match arrangements with other instruments. They have an extensive line of Trombone stuff as well, which, of course is useful for us also.

http://www.lillenas.com/nphweb/html/...=trombone+solo

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast