Thread: The Liberty Bell

1. The Liberty Bell

This piece might be a little less complex than most marches, but I like it because it spreads the melody out between the different sections of the group playing. Everyone gets their chance to shine, and I like that about it.

Indeed.

My fav Sousa is "Manhattan Beach" as the euphs have a counter-counter part in the trio.

My fav march of all time is "Brookes' Chicago Marine Band March".

Dennis

Quote Originally Posted by highpitch View Post
    My fav Sousa is "Manhattan Beach" as the euphs have a counter-counter part in the trio.
    You know, if I remember correctly, my favorite part is in the trio where the clarinets have this cool obbligato in 16th notes. (I wish the euph's had it!)
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

Yep, the clarinets do indeed have that sweet part. And that euph part is usually lost in the trio as everything else is dominant.

Dennis

5. Though I love the song in general, the main reason it is my favorite is that I can actually play the piece without much struggle. :-)

Quote Originally Posted by tvissoc View Post
    Though I love the song in general, the main reason it is my favorite is that I can actually play the piece without much struggle. :-)
    Welcome to the forum! Liberty Bell is a fine march, and I agree it is not too tough from a "notes" point of view. But if you want to keep challenging yourself a little, pay close attention to the dynamics. Also, it's a great piece for perfecting your 6/8 "feel" as you play. That's the neat thing about it! You can play it now, but it can provide lots of interest for a long time if you use it as a tool to work on these things.
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium