Thread: Recording environment/setup

1. Recording environment/setup

I'm looking to make solo euphonium recordings. I have two mics...

One is a Zoom handy video recorder, which has a high quality microphone, but I don't use it because it only has 3 gain settings: high, which seems WAY too sensitive, low which won't pickup unless it's right in the bell and I'm playing at least at a mf, and an 'auto' setting which filters out any dynamics. If anyone has any experience with using this device for instrumental recording, please feel free to share.

But, I use my Samson CO1U USB microphone, which I like because I can hook it up directly into my recording software.

However, I just can't seem to get a good recording. The low to middle range sound good in the recording, but anything in the upper register of the instrument comes out very 'grainy' in the playback for lack of a better word.
    I've tried various gain adjustments, and microphone placements, but I can't seem to get good quality sound in the upper register.

I don't think the mic is of poor quality, but who knows...

I think my problem may be that my room is far too small, and my walls are too hard. Alas, there's not much I can do about that. Anyone know of solutions to recording in a small box? Maybe I can put sound-proofing materials on some of the walls?

I haven't tried recording myself on the euphonium, but I have had success recording an ocarina solo with a pre-synthed accompaniment. I was using a standard-quality condensor mike, running both the accomp and the mike thru a small PA mixer that I have, and then recording the output on another computer. I have the accomp running only into my ear (i.e., not thru my amp), so that sound doesn't make it into the mike. It takes come trial and error to get the balance right, but it can be done.