Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: FS: Hirsbrunner 4-Valve Compensating Euphonium

FS: Hirsbrunner 4-Valve Compensating Euphonium

This appears to be a very nice used Hirsbrunner. I think it is the standard model (vs. the large bell model). The photos show that it has all 3 receiver bits (tenor, Euro, and bass trombone size). Hard case included. Only a couple very small dents are visible. The plating seems to be stripped from the 2nd valve main tubes; otherwise it just looks like it needs some silver polish to get rid of some tarnish. Starting bid $2,500, and there is no buy-it-now price. This might be the time to move if you are considering a Hirsbrunner!

NEW LINK:
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/REDUCED-Euph...-/221630442619
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	$_57.JPG 
Views:	46 
Size:	356.2 KB 
ID:	2538 Click image for larger version. 

Views:	54 
Size:	255.2 KB 
ID:	2539 Click image for larger version. 

Views:	28 
Size:	212.6 KB 
ID:	2540
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

As an owner of one of these horns, I'd also state there's probably some additional plating missing. This is speculation on my part, but I suspect there's some plating loss on the reverse valve tubes and the main slide. I'd also want a good look at the 4th valve slide. These are very nice horns, this one just needs some good attention. BTW, Custom Music still orders replacement springs, felts, and tacquets (valve guides) for these horns.

Quote Originally Posted by Markmc611 View Post
    As an owner of one of these horns, I'd also state there's probably some additional plating missing. This is speculation on my part, but I suspect there's some plating loss on the reverse valve tubes and the main slide.
    For anyone interested, be sure to check the actual eBay listing linked above. There are several more photos available there.
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)

NOTE: This has been re-listed with lower prices. Original post has been updated accordingly.
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)

The starting bid on this horn is at $2,500.00. The Buy It Now price has dropped to $3,250.00. FWIW, 11 people are watching the auction, it ends on Wednesday.

Beautiful horn. How do they sound? Dark? Bright?

I would call the sound relatively dark. While I was playing Besson, which was around the time these were selling pretty regularly, the HB was my second choice. Its intonation was better but I liked the little extra core in the Besson 967's tone, which is why I stuck with Besson. The HB had better response and was easier to play, but these days that is more the norm among the newer products.
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)

In my experience, photographs (particularly amateur photographs) of silver instruments can be very deceiving in terms of what appears to be worn plating. I've taken a number of pictures myself in which I KNEW the plating was not worn, and yet in the photo it appeared as yellow-ish rather than silver. From comparing the pictures of this instrument, this MAY be the case here from several of the suspect areas.

EXCEPT -- it doesn't look to me as though the 2nd valve sleeves have had the plating worn from them. It looks to me as though they've been replaced with tubing that was not silver plated. At least the longer one looks like this. But it's quite difficult to tell (at least for the shorter sleeve) because, as I say, reflections can make a silver surface appear to be brass, partly because in areas like the valve casings, you're getting reflections from one to the other when you take the picture.

However, the seller should be more than happy to answer such questions directly -- and may have already done so if he received inquiries. Unfortunately, on Ebay, many sellers don't post their responses to the web page so that everyone can see them. And some just don't bother to pay attention to queries. But it's worth asking -- if only because it can affect returning or getting a partial refund on an item if it was improperly described.
    Last edited by ghmerrill; 12-01-2014 at 11:59 AM.
    Gary Merrill
    Wessex EEb Bass tuba (DW 3XL or 2XL)
    Mack Brass Compensating Euph (DE N106, Euph J, J9 euph)
    Amati Oval Euph (DE 104, Euph J, J6 euph)
    1924 Buescher 3-valve Eb tuba (with std US receiver), Kelly 25
    Schiller American Heritage 7B clone bass trombone (DE LB K/K10/112/14 Lexan, Brass Ark MV50R)
    1947 Olds "Standard" trombone (Olds #3)

It's back online again, with no buy-it-now price. I take that to mean the seller might accept something less that the BIN price was before ($3,250). Just a guess, though.

If you are looking at horns in this price range, the HB is a great brand.
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)

Unfortunately photographs are very deceptive and can make an instrument look better and worse than it actually is hence I always give detailed descriptions with enquiries.
    Those second valve tubes have certainly been replaced with raw brass ones, can tell as the strengthening rings around the bottom are missing, although a nice euphonium overall and nothing a decent repair technician cannot fix.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast