Thread: 51D to Denis Wick 4AL?

51D to Denis Wick 4AL?

Hello there,

I've heard good things about the Denis Wick regular mouthpieces, and when my friend who recently graduated from high school(I'm a junior) offered me his 4AL as he has no desire of continuing music in college I could not refuse! I have been playing on a 51D since freshman year and I have no complaints with any aspects of it. However, when I tried out the Wick, tone did not change for worse and slotting improved a ton. Octave jumps were much easier, and the clarity of high notes were improved. Obviously, my chops tired faster than they do with the 51D, making high notes very hard, and making me almost double my air stream. During this thanksgiving break, I plan to do plenty of long tones, pedal tones, and low-mid tenor range slurs to get used to the mouthpiece and improve on embouchure aspects that I would need anyways.

My main question is this: Is it too early for my to switch to the Denis wick?

I am in love with the slotting and resonance, but I am not sure if I should be playing on a mouthpiece of this size!

Which brings me to my second question: If it is too early for this size, which Denis wick is recommended that is smaller in size?

Thank you!
    Last edited by Jonahzee; 11-18-2012 at 01:38 AM.

2. It is not a question of too early. If you like it and it works, then use it.
    Last edited by bpwilliams; 11-18-2012 at 07:59 AM.